Intel or M1?

Reaction score
help! i was all excited to pull the trigger on a new macbook pro this week, and now i learn about the M1 chip version coming out in 2021. what do i do?? will it really be worth waiting? thanks for the help i am no expert here

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The new Apple Silicon models are definitely the future for Macs, as they are replacing the current Intel models. It really depends on what your usage is, and what software you may currently have.

The new M1-based Macs are really fast, and Big Sur is totally optimized to run on them. You can find some discounts on current Intel MacBook Air, 13" MacBook Pro, and Mac mini models, as they have already been replaced by the Apple M1 models. Sounds like the MacBook Pro and iMac models will be next, but there isn't an actual date as of yet.

Here is a nice comparison: Apple M1 MacBook Pro vs. Intel MacBook Pro (13-Inch) Buyer's Guide

It may hint at some of the differences that may move to the forthcoming 16" MacBook Pros.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The new Apple Silicon models are definitely the future for Macs, as they are replacing the current Intel models. It really depends on what your usage is, and what software you may currently have.

The new M1-based Macs are really fast, and Big Sur is totally optimized to run on them. You can find some discounts on current Intel MacBook Air, 13" MacBook Pro, and Mac mini models, as they have already been replaced by the Apple M1 models. Sounds like the MacBook Pro and iMac models will be next, but there isn't an actual date as of yet.

Here is a nice comparison: Apple M1 MacBook Pro vs. Intel MacBook Pro (13-Inch) Buyer's Guide

It may hint at some of the differences that may move to the forthcoming 16" MacBook Pros.

Hope that helps,

C
thanks cory. yes i should have mentioned i will be getting a 16 inch, and will be using predominately for LOGIC PRO and IMOVIE/FINAL CUT. do we have any idea when apple is planning on releasing the new model in 2021?

Reaction score
help! i was all excited to pull the trigger on a new macbook pro this week, and now i learn about the M1 chip version coming out in 2021. what do i do?? will it really be worth waiting? thanks for the help i am no expert here
My only concern would be the 16gb RAM limit on the M1 version, OK if you can get by with 16gb RAM, but if you need more maybe the intel would be better.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

I agree with Lufbrarunner, but as I understand it, the M1 Macs manage memory better than the previous Intel models. And, as long as you only run a single pro app at a time (recommended), you should be good.

Of course, the MacBook Pro and iMac models to come may have the option for more RAM when they are announced/released, as they are the more robust pro-ish models, when the MacBook Air and Mac mini are geared more for the average user.

C

Reaction score
Hi,

I agree with Lufbrarunner, but as I understand it, the M1 Macs manage memory better than the previous Intel models. And, as long as you only run a single pro app at a time (recommended), you should be good.

Of course, the MacBook Pro and iMac models to come may have the option for more RAM when they are announced/released, as they are the more robust pro-ish models, when the MacBook Air and Mac mini are geared more for the average user.

C
I have just been reading up on that Cory, It certainly bodes well for the future and fortunately I am not in need of an upgrade at the moment :cool:

Reaction score
I just configured a M1 Mac mini, base model with 512/8gb. I've loaded up everything I had on an intel MBP, and I've not seen a beachball yet. I've also not used more than 30% of memory outside of a few spikes to 60%. It's like magic, if you ask me. Old iMac and MBP now on the auction block, I'm going all in on the next gen.

Reaction score
Based on the performance numbers and numerous head-to-head reviews out there...I'm likely to try and sell my 2019 16" MBP (2.4GHz 8-core i9, 64GB ram, 8TB internal storage). Need to find someone that needs the massive ram and internal storage...

Reaction score
One huge concern for me going forward is adding RAM in the iMac. I do not know if the MBP models will allow one to install extra RAM on your own as you can do with current iMacs. My understanding is that Apple is moving towards no longer allowing this option; if you want to add extra RAM to the computer you will have to buy it through Apple. And they charge an outrageous price for extra RAM. For example, when I bought my latest iMac a few years ago I bought only 8g of RAM from Apple, then maxed the RAM out buying from a third party vendor. I saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

Reaction score
Hi,

Correct - RAM is not expandable in the M1 Macs, as the unified memory architecture (UMA) is actually part of the M1 chip itself.

C
The interesting thing is, after a month of using a stock M1 mini, is that u don't need much with this SoC design. I run a lot, at the same time, always and 24x7... this mini stays a stone cold slab and mem usage stats rarely go over 30%. When I ran the same stuff on the machine it replaced (a fully loaded 2015 MBP), that hotbox would nearly explode.

Reaction score
The interesting thing is, after a month of using a stock M1 mini, is that u don't need much with this SoC design. I run a lot, at the same time, always and 24x7... this mini stays a stone cold slab and mem usage stats rarely go over 30%. When I ran the same stuff on the machine it replaced (a fully loaded 2015 MBP), that hotbox would nearly explode.
That is great to hear. I just purchased a mini with the max RAM of 16GB. I assume your 'stock' mini has 8GB of RAM? And that is running very well as you indicate. That is really good news. Thanks for posting. I will be a bit more concerned about this when I purchase my next iMac and I'm probably going to go for an intel 'puter rather than the M1 chip. I definitely will want the model that allows one to upgrade more RAM after purchase.

Reaction score
That is great to hear. I just purchased a mini with the max RAM of 16GB. I assume your 'stock' mini has 8GB of RAM? And that is running very well as you indicate. That is really good news. Thanks for posting. I will be a bit more concerned about this when I purchase my next iMac and I'm probably going to go for an intel 'puter rather than the M1 chip. I definitely will want the model that allows one to upgrade more RAM after purchase.
Yes, stock Ram but I got the larger drive (foolishly). Here is what I think will happen... the M1x or M2 will have an option for 32gb in whatever becomes the next iMac. I suspect that will be enough RAM to run anything out there today, unless ur in Hollywood or working on the HERMES Particle Accelerator. This ram phobia is now really ridiculous. I love to tinker like the next nerd, so now Im playing with external NMVe drives... and seeing how much expandability I can dongle onto this little beast...its a lot.

Im also hoping someday they will bring back the Mini rack enclosures, and fix the external GPU issue. That would rock... but Im running WoW and ilk all at 4K 60hz 60fps or better, so not sure what I would need another GPU for now... maybe the VR goggles coming down the pike?

Reaction score
I've seen arguments saying not to buy the first year of a redesign, and I understand them. (My wife's 2017 iMac has several improvements). But I don't want to buy the last year of the old design either, and I really need to replace my 2013 iMac. So I figure I'm going ARM. I hope that when the last program I need has been converted to 64-bits, we will know when the new iMac will be available so that I have a real choice between it and the M1 Mac-Mini.

I do have an SSD that I have been using to boot onto Mojave (for that program I need to run). Once I don't need it, I will have an option to buy my Mac with the tiny storage that Apple is now saying is standard. We'll see how expensive an upgraded ARM iMac will be.

Ask a Question