Insomniac iMac

Reaction score
Hi,

Just joined this forum ... I've had my iMac since September 2008; just recently, it's developed a reluctance to go to sleep. Within a second or two of the screen going black, the iMac wakes up again spontaneously. I've tried keeping the mouse as still as possible, but as far as I can tell, that makes no difference. I've also checked that the mouse and keyboard USB connections are tight. In case it's relevant, I'm running OS X 10.5.8

Thanks in advance for any suggestions - Colin

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

What happens if you leave your iMac inactive for the amount of time that you have set within the Energy Saver preferences?

Reaction score
Interesting question. I've checked several times and each time the screen goes black after the 10 minutes that I set, but the iMac doesn't go to sleep, even after a further 10 minutes. For the time being, clicking Sleep on the Apple menu works, although it's hard to say how long that will last. It started working again because I had to restart to fix some rogue behaviour, almost certainly Firefox-inspired. I'm going to be away for a few days, but will keep trying to get to the bottom of this insomnia.

Reaction score
Hi,
For the time being, clicking Sleep on the Apple menu works, although it's hard to say how long that will last

There are three types of sleep.
1) Hard disk sleep.
2) System sleep.
3) Display sleep.

So from your post above the display goes to sleep but not the HD or system.

Edit:

Just found this Apple support article, my be of use to you.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1776

Ask a Question