In Mail 9.3 El Capitan BCC is acting like CC

Reaction score
I use BCC to contact a group. Since updating to El Capitan, the BCC list is acting like CC - everyone can see the entire address list. Not what I intend. Mail 9.3 Preferences has an option to show all recipients all addresses. This is NOT checked. So what's happened to BCC in Mail 9.3? Is there a fix?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Not sure what is happening here...I have never seen the Bcc: field not work.

-Are you sure you are using the Bcc: field and not the Cc: field?
-Are you putting any email addresses in the To: or CC: field?
-Who is your email account through?
-If you send an email to a Bcc list, does it show To: Undisclosed recipients:; when it is received?
-Do you have more than one personal email address you could test it with?
-I tested it, and it is working normally on El Capitan 10.11.6/Apple Mail 9.3 on one of my Macs.

C

Reaction score
Bcc, not Cc. Been sending lists out weekly for many years.

Always there is one address in the To: field. It's required.

I have 2 email IMAP accounts; been tested; happens with both. Never did before El Capitan Mail 9.3.

Undisclosed recipients is what it does not show; it shows the list.

But there may be something else amiss that confused me. Might not be Bcc at all if you say yours is working. The name in the To: field is the name of the Group in Contacts. Prior to 9.3 that would send each member the email and the line Undisclosed recipients. Now they get the message plus the list. So does Mail 9.3 handle IMAP differently from earlier Mails? Should I upload my mailing list to gmail and send group mail from there rather than from Mac Mail at my desk?

Note that on one long Saturday night this month I updated a MacbookPro from 10.6 to 10.9 to 10.0 to 10.11. I have no experience with MAIL between 10.6 and 10.11

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, I found a workaround. I can send group emails to myself in the TO field and to the Group name in the BCC. They each get the mail but don't see the list. They also do not see Undisclosed recipients but that's not important.

Cory, thanks for steering me straight.

Rey

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...glad it's sorted.

I have always sent this type of email that way - my email in the To: field, the group in the Bcc: field. Not sure if anything changed, as I have always done it the same way.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question