IMac: worst computer ever

Reaction score
We bought a 1TB iMac in 2019. It's not a solid state hard drive, which I understand is supposed to be an issue.
It has been slow from day 1. Very disappointing performance. I've spoken to Apple support multiple times over the last 2 years, we've tried everything. The hardware has been reviewed and tested.
I've been told we need to upgrade it to a sold state hard drive, but I'm not impressed by that.
In my view, the computer has not performed as it should have from day one.

By slow, I mean it can take over a minute (I've timed it) to open System Preferences and for the spinning pizza of death to stop spinning!

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Reaction score
What are the full specs for the imac? Processor, RAM, OS etc.
Do you have any apps running in the background, any Anti virus or Malware apps running?

Reaction score
I have an M1 iMac so that's not the same but my Mini (2019/2020) is from the same era. I realize not the same either but the internals are probably similar. I didn't know iMacs even came with the option of a spinning drive. Interesting.

I have not had the "beachball" issue where things get stuck and take a long time to open. I would ask the same as Lufbrarunner: any software running that could cause an issue, like AV software maybe?

Reaction score
I have a 2008 20" imac with a 240gb SSD and 4gb RAM which is quite 'nippy' I also have a 2015 21.5" imac with 1tb mechanical drive and a 2015 27" imac with 24gb RAM and a 1tb mechanical drive, both of which perform well. At some point I may upgrade the 2015 imacs to SSDs but that can wait for the moment.
Another question, how much spare space do you have on the drive?

I am mainly using my machines for photo editing, 3D modelling and 3D printing.

Last edited:

Ask a Question