Imac Helo

Reaction score
I have a Imac g4 the hard drive has been erased, when I try to install the Mac os x Panther it wont do anything, of course its a Dvd and the back of the imac says that its a cdr w drive, but then I put in linux ubuntu and it wont even read that cd, I pushed the c button down but when I push the i believe the apple key + z the menu pops up, can I do anything from this menu check partitions ect?

Reaction score
if the imac has a cd rw drive then you cant do much from the dvd you need the cd version
are you sure you burned a powerpc ubuntu cd or is it a dvd ?
with a cd version of panther or jaguar or tiger you are sorted though

Reaction score
Indeed, you need to use the PowerPC version of Ubuntu, the x86 version won't work (just making sure you downloaded the right one). And you should be able to switch the Panther DVD for CD's at an authorised apple retailer (I think, if my memory serves me correctly), or would have been able to if panther was still the latest version. You might have to buy Tiger now and switch it at the same time while you're at it.

Reaction score
switching the tiger dvd wil cost 20 extra though
might wanna buy a used apnther cd set

or jaguar or even 9.2

Ask a Question