imac G5 options included

Reaction score
i got my grubby little paws on a imac G5 from ebay for 500
not a bad deal for a 1800 mhz G5 with 160 gig hd and a combo drive
the problem is it comes with optional bluetooth and airport extreme modules installed
i dont want either i dont have any interest in bluetooth or airport and i want to pull those modules out and sell them

question is how do i do that ?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

That's not that easy of a task at all. How technically savvy are you? How much are thinking of getting for them?

Reaction score
goodie >.>
well lets say i pulled apart my imac G4 and put it back together again
i have no idea what i coudl fetch for them
but i dont use them and i never plan to use them so they might as wel come out

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

You first post said G5, your second said G4?

As for pricing...check eBay for going prices.

Personally, it wouldn't be worth the hassle to me. Plus, if you evere decide to resell it, you can fetch more money.

C

Reaction score
you asked me how technical savvy i am
my awnser is that i can dissasamble my imac G4 and put it back together again
( and a imac G3 for that matter too cant crack a compact open otherwise i would have )
the question is about a imac G5 i used the G4 as a yard meter

i dont use bluetooth and airport and i dont really want to it seems like a shame to just leave them there if other can use them

i doubt il be able to get to the bluetooth moduel but the airport card cant be that hard

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Well, depending on which iMac G5 you have, you will need to remove several pieces...bottom access panel, front and/or rear bezels/panels, EMI/RF shielding, etc. The location of those components differ from model to model, so I can't give you specifics. Also, they are attached to the logic board via a slot and/or screws. You would have to disconnect any wiring that is attached as well.

The BT module wouldn't go for much I bet. The AirPort card, depending on availability in your location, maybe $50 USD max.

Reaction score
bt wil stay then
availbility for airport extreme is so so here a new card wil cost 120

an normal airport card wil bring up 80 easily
i have the 1800 mhz 17 inch model no isight thankfully

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

You might get a good price for the AirPort card then.

I know you can search Google to get some diagrams for take-apart sometimes...when Apple hasn't had found them and had them removed. ;)

Reaction score
I think the BT and Airport card in some revisions of the imac G5 are a combo, therefore you may have to take the whole unit out and sell as one. You probably would not get much - I can get one on ebay for £30 (even less sometimes).

IMHO, it is not really worth the hassle for what you will get for them, and, if you decide to sell, you will lose more than £30 for not having them in, as many want wireless and bluetooth nowadays.

Not sure which revision iMac G5 you have, but here are the DIY instructions for adding parts/replacing parts/taking out parts direct from Apple:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300205

Reaction score
according to mac tracker i have the ambient lightsensor imac G5
i dont really care about the monetary value of the modules its just that they are in there i wont use them i dont ever plan to use them nor do i plan to resell this imac it wil be here till the day it ( or i ) die

so why keep something in that i dont want or need and wont ever use ?

Ask a Question