iMac G5 ceasing up!

Reaction score
For the last week or so, my computer slows down and is very sluggish after about 20 minutes. Internet connection is also dropped at an early stage.

I have to reboot to free it up. I have run Onyx and cleaned/cleared everything and I have zapped the PRAM. I have run The Apple Hardware Test and everything passed, however, after running the test, I noticed that the mouse was sluggish again, so I re-run the test which caused the mouse to be even more sluggish. Would this point to something being faulty on the computer rather than a software program?

I am about to order more RAM, however, My iMac has run sweet for two years now and has only just begun performing like this. I rebooted last night before I retired and this morning, I could hardly move the mouse to restart the machine. This surely suggests that there is a bigger problem???

Imac G5 1.8GHz
512MB RAM
80GB hard drive
10GB Free
MacOS 10.3.9

Reaction score
Hi Mowgli and welcome :)

Just as a starter, have you tried the mouse in a different port, and also, have you tried using a different mouse?

How full is your hard drive?

Reaction score
HD capacity 74.41GB
Free: 10.57GB
It's not just the mouse that is sluggish, the whole computer is affected. That is why I ran the Hardware Test and found it to be the same condition. When I ran the Hardware Test for a second time, everything became more sluggish.

I did forget to mention that I had to have the Logic Board replaced last February when the computer was 1 yr old.

This sluggishness usually begins after a reboot no matter what application I am running and......... even when no application is running. Could this be something to do with Virtual Memory 'clogging up'?

Reaction score
Hi Mowgli,

Another thing to try would be to create a new user, and then close down and restart and log into the new user account that you have just created.

Are things still the same?

I assume when you run OnyX that you also repaired permissions?

Sometimes it is difficult diagnosing such problems via the internet, and, in this case, I am inclined to advise you to back everything up you need to disc/external hard drive or other media means, and then do a clean install if nothing else works.

Do not choose archive and install, you need to do a completely clean install. If the problem still exists after that, it is likely to be a hardware issue - it sounds like something is causing a bottle neck somewhere.

Reaction score
Hi Kyomii
Thanks for your interest. I tried another user account, no different. Yes, repaired permissions using Onyx and Disk Utility. Sadly, I feel that your suggestion to do a clean install is probably the only alternative. It still bugs me though as to why it should still happen when using Disk Utility off the System Install Disk. Surely that doesn't use anything from the installed system?

Your comments are greatly appreciated :)

Reaction score
N.B.
Because of the ceasing up, I can only stay online for about 20 minutes at a time - fropped connections!

Reaction score
Have you installed any RAM recently or even at all since you had the machine Mowgli?

It could be a RAM issue - or certainly a caching issue. Get activity monitor up and see if you can spot anything that is using up the memory.

If you have ever added any RAM to the system, take it out and see if there is any improvement (taking into account that it will be slightly slower due to less RAM)

If you run disc utility from your install disc, yes it is utilising the hard drive, because it has to check files on the hard drive, so the hard drive is being read and written to in the case of repairing permissions.

Reaction score
OK, OK, I did try setting up another user, but forgot to restart when I changed over. So.......... after restarting and logging in as another user, everything runs OK.

Soooooooooooooooooo, what is my next step?

Sowwy ;-)

Reaction score
If everything is running fine under a new user name, it simply means that the problem lies with software settings (maybe a start up file) under the old username.

The trick is now to find it. Try to think back what you have installed when the system started its slow down.

I am a little tired now, but hopefully will be back tomorrow to help you find the problem. Meanwhile use the new user name until it is sorted. :)

EDIT: Just a small afterthought, have you got APE installed by any chance? (Application Enhancer)

Reaction score
Getting somewhere!

Hi K,
OK,I have deleted/uninstalled recent software added in the last month, all except that is, the recent security update from Apple. I am currently online, (the main user account), this session for 57 minutes so far, normally I have been getting disconnected after about 20 to 25 minutes. Currently, I have only one remaining known problem, which tells me that everything is still not quite perfect - Calculator V3.2.1 is not functioning correctly in the currency converion facility, it is when in other user mode. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Getting somewhere 2

I nearly forgot, the other problem is that to quit Firefox, I have to 'Quit' twice.

Reaction score
Hi Mowgli, find the preference list file for the calculator program (.plist) and delete it. When the program is relaunched it will act as though it has just been installed - this should solve the problem.

Reaction score
Hi K,
Did that this afternoon and Calculator is now fine. Tried doing the same with Firefox, but it didn't work, I still have to 'quit' twice. Anyway, on the bottom line, things are looking a lot better and I can now stay online without dropped connections. Thanks a lot for your concern, very much appreciated, I owe you a drink whenever I get home to the UK.

P.S. Like your photos, v nice. Take care ;-)

Reaction score
Hi Mowgli,

Do a search in spotlight for Firefox files. Delete them all but make sure you are only deleting files related to Firefox and nothing else.

Now repair permissions, and then reinstall Firefox or download the most recent version and install that.

Lucky you living in Spain! I don't drink so you can owe me a holiday instead :p

Reaction score
Kiyomii,
You previously mentioned APE Application Enhancer. Was you warning me off it, or recommending it?

Reaction score
Kiyomii,
You previously mentioned APE Application Enhancer. Was you warning me off it, or recommending it?

Have you read my post above regarding Firefox?

As for APE, it is well known to cause startup issues and a few other glitches - personally I would stay clear, while others may recommend it.

Reaction score
Read your post thanks and will follow your advice. Once again, thanks and take care. :cool:

Ask a Question