iMac G4, OS 10.3.9, Speedtouch modem problem

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the above Mac, had broadband working fine with a BT Voyager 105 USB modem but have now moved and everything has changed!

I have a new broadband supplier - Waitrose - and have bought a new modem.

The modem is by Thomson - the Speedtouch 780WL.

In running the setup Wizard, it all goes fine until it tries to detect the modem - either through a USB connection or the ethernet connection. It won't detect it either way.

I can use the old wired modem so the USB system is fine (and all other USB is working).

I have switched off the firewall, fiddled with the settings in the Network Preferences to see if I could set it up from that - but no - it just spends a few minutes trying to detect it before saying "plug the cables in".

There is precious little documentation with it, and not much more online.

Any ideas? Otherwise sooner or later I will trip over the cable to the cable modem and get hurt!

Thanks.

Dom.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

I presume the old modem is not plugged in whilst doing the setup ?

I can't see any info on the waitrose site ie support...

I would give them a ring, they state that they support Macs so they should be able to give you the manual settings.

The set ups are different for each ISP so I can't really help to much, if they had the settings on the website, then it would be easy.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Oh god....I use a speedtouch USB and can honestly say nothing has angered me more in my life!

I had (and still have) really bad experience with configuring my modem to connect.(Kernal Panic Galore!) What I suggest you do is download the up_to_date drivers from their website

http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/support.htm

Find the 780(WL) near the bottom and it should have an installation package app for you to download.

During the installation of the software driver the it will ask you to connect the evil bugger of a modem to your holy mac which then should detect it. You'll just need to configure the network info in the system preferences network setup to get connected.

Luckily I'm getting an airport extreme base station soon for my laptop and will fit a wireless card into my G5 iMac (can G4 do this?) so will conduct a burning ceremony in my garden with the speedtouch on top of it!

*Edit* Sorry my bad, didn't double check there are no drivers for your 780WL modem (only for mine it seems) and it just says contact your ISP for further info. I suggest you call them up, tell them your iMac running 10.3.9 (not Tiger) and can't detect the modem.

Ask a Question