iMac G3 Bondi Screen blank on startup

Reaction score
I have an original iMac bondi blue... The screen gave out years ago. I can start up the computer, get the nice chimes and it sounds like it starting up. The light on the front remains orange, but I can hear the hard drive spinning (which leads me to think that it's starting up the system)...

There are a number of files that I need to get off of the computer but am unsure how to proceed. Can I somehow hook the iMac up to an iBook and start it up as an external HD. Would an ethernet connector (for between two computers) work if I can't see if apple talk and filing sharing are on/working (the screen?)?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Am I going to have to take out the hard drive from the iMac (which I'm fine with) and how easy is it to do that (and then hook it up to a ibook as an external HD)?

I realize that's a lot of questions, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Hello,
Unfortunately, your Mac doesn't have firewire, so you can't use Target Disc Mode.
As far as connecting the Macs via ethernet, I believe that both of them must have file sharing turned on. If you decide to take the hard drive out, here's some instructions from MacWorld.

"You must remove the CD-ROM drive to expose the hard drive beneath. The CD-ROM drive is held in place on the front of the drive mounting by a couple of hooks (A) that slip through slots in the drive cage. To remove the CD-ROM drive, push in the face of the drive to slip these hooks out of the slots, then lift the drive up and over the top of the cage. Once the CD-ROM drive is clear, disconnect its ribbon cable. Put the drive aside.

With the hard drive exposed, remove the metal clip over the drive and the two Phillips screws on the top of the cage--on the left and right sides of the drive (B). These screws secure the hard drive's bracket to the cage.

Pull the bracket from the cage, and disconnect the drive's data and power cables. Unscrew the bracket screws, remove the old drive, and set it aside.

With the new drive, reverse this process by attaching the bracket and cables, slipping the bracket back into the cage, screwing the bracket to the cage, reinstalling the clip over the drive, and replacing the CD-ROM drive."

Ask a Question