iMac frozen on login screen

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've had my mac for over a year and haven't had any issues until now. Yesterday I was installing Trend Micro, and it was updating after the install, but then the whole thing froze, so after several hours of it doing nothing, I turned it off and back on again. Now it loads up to the login screen of 4 users + guest, but when you click on a name, nothing happens. All user accounts (except guest) are passworde protected but the password prompt doesn't even come up, and the sleep, restart, and shutdowns buttons don't work. I was able to safe boot once but had no clue what to do while in there, so I restarted and can't get back to safe boot. I restarted with Command + R (or is it D), the one that gives you the disk utility, and after verifying/repairing the disk and permissions, that same thing happens on reboot. I'm not sure what else to try as I don't know much about fixing macs.

Can anyone help? It is greatly appreciated. I should have done a back up or something but didn't...:(

Did I mention I'm a bit clueless? :eek:

Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Sounds like you may need to boot from your Disks and do an install in place

Reaction score
It didn't come with any disks, but apparently there's an option to reinstall within the disk utility...but I'm not sure how exactly to do that...#1 is that I can't lose the files on the computer. Actually, I'm using safari from the disk utility right now

Reaction score
Well...think I figured out how to use the reinstall, so I'm trying that...says it'll take over 3 hours so I guess I'll hope and pray that it works when it's done! :)

Reaction score
ok...that didn't work either. nothing happens when I click the user accounts so I did a safe boot and was able to log in with no problem, but now I don't know what to do...all files are still there, I just can't log in unless in safe boot...

Reaction score
I did a series of steps in safe boot...installed updates, added a new user, changed the login screen so you have to enter a name and password instead of click a user, uninstalled trend micro, rebooted and now it works...

Thanks for the suggestions Kaveman! :)

Ask a Question