iMac downgrade gone wrong

Reaction score
I have tried to downgrade from mojave to high sierra on iMac and followed instructions on line to erase Mac HD to do a clean install. When I restarted iMac I have no startup disk to choose to install High Sierra on. Any help would be appreciated

Reaction score
So, to make things clear, your were using High Sierra, then upgraded (in place?) to Mojave, but want to downgrade/go back to High Sierra? Is that correct?

Also, what mechanism/procedure are you using to try and do a clean installation of High Sierra? The ideal thing would be if you had either a SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner backup/clone of your Mojave system on an external drive, along with the installation file for High Sierra.

Also, how are you making posts here? That is, what device are you using?

Reaction score
Yes I was trying to downgrade from mojave as some apps were not working. I backup data to usb stick. I didn't know you need another app to clone with. I'm using my phone to post. When I reboot I have no HD showing. What do I do to get High Sierra back as OS?

Reaction score
What you need to do is to create a High Sierra bootable flash drive. However, you will need a Mac to create it. Do you have a friend that has a Mac? If you do, we can help you with creating it.

It sounds like you just wiped your hard drive clean, and then expected to be able to install High Sierra on it. Wonder how you wiped it entirely clean? How exactly did you do that?

Also, what "stuff" did you backup to the usb stick?

Finally, whenever you want to upgrade the Mac OS, you need to insure that all your third party applications work with it. This site is useful for that:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

There is the possibility that some of your apps needed an upgrade to work with Mojave. Myself, I am still using High Sierra, even though I did need upgrades for some of my apps to work with Mojave (they also still work with High Sierra). One of my apps, Onyx, has specific versions for each Mac OS. Finally, I am waiting for the upgrade for one of my critical applications, Tech Tool Pro, before I upgrade to Mojave. That upgrade should be available by the end of this month.

Reaction score
What you have is the file "Install macOS High Sierra". That file needs to be "decomposed/expanded" before you can install it.

If you had a Mac (or knows a friend that has one), you would use the excellent freeware program DiskMaker X, available from here:

https://diskmakerx.com/diskmaker-x-for-macos-10-13-high-sierra-is-ready/

Once that file is downloaded and installed, it would be used, along with the file "Install macOS High Sierra", to make a bootable High Sierra flash drive installer.

Ask a Question