imac built in camera

Reaction score
i am running an imac 10.4.4 with a built in camera. is it possible for me to have a conversation with someone and see them? do they have to be using an apple? what is the application (program) that operates the built in camera?
thank you
miriamb

Reaction score
Hello miriamb!

Yes, you can have a conversation with a person with your webcam. You need to open iChat. If you see a camera icon next to the person's user name, you can video chat with them regardless if the have a Mac or a PC. I video chat with my PC friends all the time. iChat uses the AOL IM service. So as long as your friends have a AOL IM account (free to sign up), you can video chat with them. I hope this answers your questions. Let us know if you need further help!

Searay

Reaction score
thanks searay. i'll try what you said. to be honest, i'm not really sure whether video telephones are such a good thing. hope i don't get a call straight after i get out of bed if you know what i mean...anyway...hard to stop the technology!!

cheers

miriamb

Reaction score
LOL, I got a video call when I got out of bed once. But you have to accept the call in order for the other party to see you.

Ric

Reaction score
...if you want to have a play with the camera, have a look along the Dock for Photo Both, fun you can play on your own.

If you want to test your camera, I don't mind being a tester.

My Nephew has just had his first play with iChat tonight, speaking to his Auntie via the video chat bit, and he was totally amazed !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question