IMac 24 2008 Connecting External Display

Reaction score
I’m a bit confused, the Thunderbolt 1 plug/socket is different to the mini DVI, is it the same as the mini display port?

Reaction score

this looks like it’s got the right terminals, but says it won’t work on Thunderbolt- I’ve read a few items that says the same, others saying it will for video? Might be better off binning the old iMac.

Reaction score
In Australia, Brisbane. Thanx
I am in Ipswich... hahaha , small world. have you tried the Mac Flu at Mt Gravat Apple-Q. I used to go till I got so deaf I could hear what was going on. Leah has a carton of adapters he carries all the time.

regards

Sandy

Reaction score
I’m a bit confused, the Thunderbolt 1 plug/socket is different to the mini DVI, is it the same as the mini display port?

the first 3 are USB 1 & 2, they added lightening strikes to indicate thunderbolt, which is, I believe, compatible with Mini DVI port & plugs.

timeline-usb-tbt-max.jpg

Reaction score
Just hooked up my MacBook Air (2010) to the thunderbolt screen & nothing, I’d say this won’t work. Maybe hook up a Mac mini as the external hard drive & connect the monitor by thunderbolt?

Reaction score
The hard drive in the iMac is dead & I'm using an external hard drive via FireWire which works fine- could it be a solution to hook up a Mac Mini as the hard drive, and run the Thunderbolt monitor off the mini? It’s got a T’bolt port.

Reaction score

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry to clarify again, but the image of the port layout I posted is actually correct. ;)

Here are the official Apple specifications for the two devices:
iMac (24-inch Early 2008)
Apple Thunderbolt Display

Officially, the Apple Thunderbolt Display system requirements state: "Thunderbolt-enabled Mac computer, including MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and iMac". I believe this requirement is because the Thunderbolt cable in the wiring harness (which also has a MagSafe connector to charge portable Macs) connects to a Thunderbolt port on a Thunderbolt-equipped Mac to carry audio/video/data between the Mac and the display's built-in FaceTime HD camera/mic, speakers, and ports. You can connect peripherals to the display's ports, and the Thunderbolt port on the back of the display can be used to connect another Thunderbolt display, storage device, etc.

Yes, Thunderbolt 1 connectors are the same physical connector as a Mini DisplayPort, but the wiring/internals are quite different, because Thunderbolt supports more than just video. Unfortunately, I don't think there will be any combination of adapters that will allow connection to the Mini-DVI port on the iMac.

Hope that helps and definitely let us know if you find a workable solution!

C

Reaction score
well Ill be blowed, I stand corrected on the fire wire.. apologies. never heard of odd-ported Mac till now.

Sandy

Reaction score
Thanks Sandy, picking up a Mac mini today, I’ll swap it over with the external HD I‘m running, & hook the 2nd monitor up through the MM T’bolt port. Fingers crossed, might have issues with what it decides to be the primary display. Should be able to set it up through settings.

Reaction score
As expected, FireWire socket on the MM is different to the iMac. Now have to find an adapter or conversion cable. Getting as bad as bloody Microsoft.

Reaction score
Thunderbolt screen powers up off the MM. Found an FW 800-800 cable at Umart, grab it tomorrow morning- hopefully sorted.

Reaction score
Hooked up the FireWire, managed to do a data transfer from the iMac to the Mac Mini via it after a lot of fiddling about. Now both identical, I’ve got to work out how to make either the iMac or the Thunderbolt Display the second monitor. I was thinking of doing a full factory reset on the iMac, and see it it’ll boot up off the MM’s hard drive. This should be a lot easier than it is.

Ask a Question