IMac 20 (2008) Black Screen, No Chines, No Boot :0/

Reaction score
Hello all, firstly many thanks in advance for clicking on my thread.

I have an imac 20" Intel circa 2008. Other than the odd malware issue in the past the computer has been exceptionally reliable.
The OS ran at Lion, anything later would not update our be suitable for its age.

A week ago I was using the imac as usual and all was fine. I switched it on at the weekend and now all I get is a black screen and no chime. I tried resetting the PRAM/RAM but I don't think it's recognising the keyboard.

I am not technically minded but following some instructions from the Internet, I carefully removed the aluminium case to check the 4 LED lights.

The first two green lights do come on but after that nothing. The fan spins as usual and despite its age there wasn't too much dust around the circuitry.

I have took it to several repair shops and unfortunately everyone seems reluctant no to look at it.

Firstly, is there away to access the hard drive with the use of another imac, I do have an old mac book thst i could connect via ethernet. Alternatively can you get a plug in device to read and download the information and programmes from the hard drive?

Secondly does anyone know what the most obvious/common problem could be? The only thing I can find on the net is that it could be the Logic board that is not working.

As I say, I am not technically gifted, but any help or advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you once again.

Reaction score
Well, to be non specific it sounds like it's "died" and considering its age thats not remarkable which is why we keep stressing that users should have backups. I take it you don't have one? The old saying is, "It's not a matter of if my HD will die but when."
As the device is classified as "obsolete" by Apple you will have a hard time finding anyone who will touch it as parts are in short supply but, you could get the HD removed and mounted in an external dock you may be able to access it's data if that's important to you.

Reaction score
from the age of the computer, it could be a dust, a dead PRAM battery, a bad drive, or a thousand other things

If you want, I have the service manual for that iMac if you know someone that would be willing to look at it for you.

Ask a Question