Identify Mac keyboard

Reaction score
I have a Mac USB keyboard that I'd like to identify. As in Magic1, Magic2, etc. I have the serial number. Where can I look up a Mac keyboard serial number?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Probably the easiest way would be to upload a few photos...I have one of almost all Apple Keyboards. Magic Keyboards aren't USB - they are all Bluetooth.

C

Reaction score
P6130003.jpg

I need to know what kind of keyboard this is so I can buy a few key replacements. Apple likes Serial numbers, but doesn't like model IDs.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Looks like a Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad, model A1243, order number MB110LL/A, MB110LL/B. It was introduced in August 2007 and discontinued in June 2017. It should have a 13 digit serial number on the "USB ledge/foot", and have the model number A1243 in the printing across the bottom edge on the back.

As an FYI, the key caps and scissors for these keyboard do sometimes change slightly during production, so any you may purchase may not fit correctly.

C

Reaction score
The serial number is small but readable. I saw that. But gosh, you're right. The other info is in eenty weentsy tiny print on the bottom edge. Impossible to read without a magnifying glass. It is indeed A1243 EMC# 2171.

Now, that's an interesting point that key caps and hardware sometimes change. If so, then I guess I really can't specify a replacement key, even with the serial number? That's a pisser.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, the print is hard to read - I had to use my iPhone to verify mine. ;)

Normally, Apple doesn't sell key cap replacements from what I remember, as most keyboards are whole unit swaps. The mechanisms and caps don't always change, but I do remember it happening on some MacBook and MacBook Pros during their availability. Not saying that is definite, just something to look out for.

C

Ask a Question