Identifying your desktop picture

Reaction score
Having 5000 odd photos saved in my "Photos" file I wish to identify the current desktop selection which (ike most pics) has only a .jpg number. It could take an hour or more to locate the original so I seek a shortcut - I've looked but not as yet found a solution.
Is there some way of identifying the jpg number of my desktop pic ? My OS is 10.15.6

Reaction score
May I suggest using the 'SEARCH' feature in the top bar of your 'pictures' window?
Whatever your desktop shows at the moment, it must have something recognisable. Go to Photos and try 'flower', 'bus', 'aeroplane', 'clock', for example, or whatever is the main feature of the picture.
I have nearly 15,000 pictures in my file. Search works quickly and you may find unexpected photos you'll have forgotten.

Reaction score
Open 'System Preferences' and the hold down Command + Option keys and click 'Desktop & Screen Saver' in the resulting window click the 'Debug Window' button. The info you need will be there.
Alternatively, if you are happy using the terminal:
Open 'Terminal' and type in
defaults write com.apple.dock desktop-picture-show-debug-text -bool TRUE;killall Dock
then click 'Enter'

This will show the path and filename on your desktop image. to turn this off repeat with
defaults write com.apple.dock desktop-picture-show-debug-text -bool FALSE;killall Dock

Reaction score
May I suggest using the 'SEARCH' feature in the top bar of your 'pictures' window?
Whatever your desktop shows at the moment, it must have something recognisable. Go to Photos and try 'flower', 'bus', 'aeroplane', 'clock', for example, or whatever is the main feature of the picture.
I have nearly 15,000 pictures in my file. Search works quickly and you may find unexpected photos you'll have forgotten.

Hi PaBear, Thanks for your good advice, Spotlight sure is a handy tool. My photo is one of many taken on a road trip a couple of years ago. The pic shows the back end of my Suzuki Swift car, parked in front of a large green road sign showing distances to towns in NW New South Wales. Just one pic in my Photos album but as usual, I'd not included any info or keyword.
I typed in 'Car' and Spotlight produced a couple of dozen cars but none of the one I sought. I then typed in 'roadsigns' and I got heap of pics of roadsigns, one of which was on the trip I was seeking. This was an album and I then found what I sought.
So yes, I found what I wanted in a few minutes.
It would be good though, if one could the OS had the capability to identify the desktop pic and like iTunes, be able to what is desired. Maybe someone can point the way, if such is not yet developed, maybe Apple could fix this omission.
In the same vein, it would be good if one could be able to change the colour of the cursor for easy eye location.
Thank you.

Ask a Question