iBook vs. MacBook

Reaction score
Hey , I am looking to get a new MacBook. The one I was looking at is the lowest end one. For 1149.99 (CAD)
But then I saw an iBook G4 on Kijiji (Like ebay , but local) for 200 bucks.
Machine Name: iBook G4
Machine Model: PowerBook6,7
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.42 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 768 MB
Bus Speed: 142 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.3f0
Hard Drive: 74.4 GB
Those are it's stats or whatever.
I was wondering if any of you guys could help me make a choice.
The things I mostly use computers for are music/video , web browsing , and simple photo editing with GIMP.
So yeah , just some help would be nice.
Thanks.

P.S I have read some things some where that were saying not all programs can be run if it's a powerPC processor. Is that much of a hindrance ?

Reaction score
It should suffice for those tasks, it isn't any worse than my own Mac Mini G4. Though if you're planning to do more advanced stuff (music and video EDITING, for example - or editing huge images (like a few thousand pixels on each side)), you'll need something a bit tougher - but the lowest MacBook wouldn't be much better for that matter. Nor is it much of a gaming machine.

Most programs should still run on the PPC, but as time progresses many software developers are abandoning that platform, just as they abandoned Mac OS 9, and the 68k processor before that. Not all programs will run, but most still work and will for some time yet (I think, for example, the next Microsoft Office, and perhaps Adobe's Creative Suite 4 [yes, the next one] may not run on the Power PC, but keep to the current versions and you should be fine, if you even run those programs at all).

Reaction score
Hey there,

for what you seem to be doing with it i think also it would do the job.... however... a sooped up mac is nicer :D

karazelle

Reaction score
I concur with other posters, but you should also keep your eyes open for a good condition used Powerbook G4 as well. Those are more powerful than the iBook G4.

I am not entirely in agreement that a Macbook would not be much better than an iBook G4. A modern Macbook is not as powerful as a Macbook Pro, but its not a complete weakling, and it definitely has most of the $400 PC laptops beaten.

Ask a Question