Ibook G4 Suddenly wont boot

Reaction score
The short background before my problem began is the battery to my Ibook G4 shorted out about a year ago so I have been running on outlet power all the time. Just recently, maybe a week or so ago, my power cord was tripped over and was pulled out of the wall. For some odd reason my computer didn't turn off, and it looked like my battery was working again (Exciting right?). However, after a minute or two my battery failed and my computer turned off. No big deal; I'll just keep running off outlet power I thought. That brings me to today.

I was surfing the internet in my living room and then decided to go watch a DVD on my computer in the other room. Since I needed to unplug my computer to move it I was about to shut it down. I noticed then that it looked like my battery was charging, so I thought I'd just put my computer to sleep, let it run on the battery for the 30 seconds it takes me to walk across the house, and plug it in again. Well it worked for about 15 of those 30 seconds, and since on several occasions my computer has become unplugged while running I wasn't to worried. Just plug it in and boot it up again. Sadly the computer would not boot up again. I plugged it in, the green light around the power plug was illuminated so I knew I had power, but the computer wouldn't power up. I tried pressing the power button multiple times, holding the power button down for several seconds, changed outlets in the wall, and tried booting up with the battery disconnected and connected. None of the above worked.

I haven't done anything odd in terms of downloading, installing, ect... lately. I did install Senuti last night, but it has been powered off and on since then. I also deleted a large amount of music files from my computer last night, but that shouldn't affect this as far as I know.

I am running OSX that isn't more than a year old. I couldn't give you the specific name of it though. If you need any more information or specs I'll try to recall them, but since I can't boot it up I can't really look them up.

Also I haven't tried booting it up with the OSX CD since it isn't with me.

Thanks,
Aaron

Reaction score
Well problem solved oddly.

After leaving the computer alone for a bit and trying all the above processes again I tried pressing the battery firmly into its slot while trying to turn the computer on with the power cord attached. It ended up working the second time around.

Ask a Question