ibook debacle

Reaction score
hi there, nice forum ye got here. ahhhm, im in a bit of bother. ive got an ibook g4, with (i think) 10.3.4 or somewhere close to that mark.

recently it started giving me trouble;

first it wouldnt power on, no light where the cord meets the frame

then it powered on, and made nasty noises like the fan was going mad, lots of whirring and clicking, and groany noises, wouldnt boot at all.

then... two weeks later it powered on, to my suprise, and was fine. for a day.

then it booted and worked but took two minutes to tackle any task, and couldnt do most things, like copy and paste files. made groany noises all the while too.

i thought it might be the hard drive, seems like thats where the noises were coming from, so i spent the last while taking it apart, as per the guide online, and reassembling it.

so i turned it on, but its not reading the hard drive i put in.

the hard drive is a fujitsu i took from an mp3 player, the model number is mht2040at - i wasnt able to format it so chances are the firmware for the mp3 player is still on there

sooo, any ideas? help graciously appreciated, thanks for reading that essay.

Reaction score
update; i found the disk utility on the installer disk, and formatted the disk.

i then retryed installing, this time when i got to the - select destination volume - page, it recognised the disk, but said i could not install on this volume.

its pretty late here, so, for the moment ive got the utility to write loads of zeros on the disk, and im going to bed, hopefully when i get up itll tell me i can install on the volume. goodnight :)

Ask a Question