ibook acting strange

Reaction score
I'd appreciate some advice.

My ibook has been acting strange recently. I just bought a new scanner and printer, but my ibook won't let me install any of the drivers. It asks for my user password, when I enter it I get an error message saying Administrator or higher level is required. Wierd - it's my machine, As far as I know I'm the administrator and I've only ever used one user password with it. I get the same error when I try to de-install an older scanner driver.

Also it refuses to let me load blank CDRoms, saying my start-up disk is full, which is surely nonsense. Restarting makes no difference.

On top of that when I start up the ibook the Hard Disk icon always appears at the bottom of the desktop, not in it's correct place in the top right corner.

I'm using an ibook G4, here are the specs:

OSX.3.9
Processor - 800 Mhz PowerPC G4
Memory 640 MB DDR SDRAM

Any help is very gratefully received.

John

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Have you previously been prompted for the Admin password where everything worked as it should when you entered the info?

Have you previously installed a scanner/printer successfully?

What is the amount of free space left on your iBook?

Have you recently ran Disc Utility to Repair Permissions? If not, I recommend it for this issue.

Reaction score
Thanks Spawn Dooley
I previously installed my sisters HP driver without problems, this is something that's just begun to occur.
Strange thing is it accepts my password, but still tells me I need to be administrator or higher to do anything.

I'll have a look for disc utility.

Ask a Question