I have to reset all passwords every time I restart my Mac

Reaction score
I don't know what I've done to make this start happening, but it's a real chore. I'll turn my iMac off for the night, then when I restart I have to enter the passwords and other login details for every site I visit. If I just put it to sleep this doesn't happen.

I'm running MacOS BigSur v11.6 and I use Chrome.

The solution is something simple, I'm sure, but Google thinks I must mean having to enter my Mac's password every time, which of course isn't a problem. So I'm hoping one of you peeps has the answer.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response.
  • Is Chrome up to date?
  • Are you singed into Chrome with a Google account?
  • Does it only happen with Chrome?
  • Do you get any prompts to enter your Keychain password?
C

Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply and sorry for my delayed response too!

I happened to notice an 'update' message on my Chrome browser since posting my question here and since I clicked on that, the issue seems to have sorted itself out (fingers crossed).

In answer to your other questions; yes, it's a Google account, I only ever use Chrome and no, I don't get any prompts like that which is just as well as I have no idea what my keychain password is!

Reaction score
I believe your keychain password is the same as the password you use to login to your Mac. Google Chrome (browser) will not be able to access your keychain as far as I know but I don’t use Chrome so can’t say definitively.

Ask a Question