I HATE All The Ads When Visiting Most Sites!

Reaction score
It seems like the number of ads that appear when one visits a site are increasing at an alarming rate. In some instances, such ads take over anywhere from 25 to 50% of the screen. It is getting so, so annoying. And using whatever ad blockers are available for a browser do little, if anything, to help with this.

Just about all the sites I visit are decent, OK, and reputable sites. For example, here are the most of the ones I visit on a daily basis (and in many instances, way more than once a day):

Mac Help (thank god no ads here!)

www.macworld.com (the annoying ones are when one clicks on a story link, and a video starts playing in the "background" which I do not want to hear!)

tidbits.com (no ads at all! (at least none that I encounter))

www.macupdate.com (again, no ads here)

www.dealnews.com (expected ads, of course)

weather.com (ads appear there, but not sure what the purpose is)

www.espn.com (just about every time I click on a video to watch there, an ad plays first, no matter what)

www.seattletimes.com (One of the worst, especially with taking over a vast amount of screen real estate with ads)

http://www.thenewstribune.com/ (another newspaper site, and just like the Seattle Times one above, one of the worst, especially with taking over a vast amount of screen real estate with ads)

www.yahoo.com (so many ads here, no matter which story I click on to watch)

www.gmail.com, www.outlook.com, and www.hotmail.com (sites I visit to check my gmail and hotmail mail. Surprisingly, no ads at all!)

I would appreciate any recommendations for an effective ad blocker (or blockers) for google chrome, which is the primary browser I use.

Reaction score
Yeah, that seems to be the case. And it is getting worse and worse each day!

I also read about those "rogue" ad blockers also. One sure needs to be very, very careful. By the way, that link you provided is another example of an annoying ad: as I was starting to look at it, a video started playing in the background (I was looking at the bottom portion). I had to scroll back up to see the offending video and stop it.

Reaction score
Have you got the "Block Pop Up Windows" ticked in Safari Preferences>Security? Also have the Safari Extension "AdBlock" installed and also Glimmerblocker:
https://glimmerblocker.org

I get very few ads, certainly none of the Real Estate ads in your links.

Ask a Question