My Flash Drive and Mac hate each other. Help me please.

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a PC person. However, for work I use a MAC, and for the most part I don't have any issues I can't solve, except for this one. I have an 8g flash drive, that I have formatted and emptied the trash from and mac also shows that the 8g of the Flash drive are available. When I drag a 4.56g file into the flash drive, MAC says there is not enough space. The flash drive works just fine on any PC computers, and I have never had any issues. Please help! Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

I am a PC person. However, for work I use a MAC
I take it that the drives format is Fat32 as it is used on both systems.

When I drag a 4.56g file into the flash drive
This is because your flash drive is formatted with the Fat32 file system. And this type of a file system has a built-in limitation on the size of the files that it may contain. Although the total size of the files that you can copy to a FAT32 drive could be as large as 2TB (or the physical capacity of the drive, whichever is smaller), the size of each individual file may not exceed 4GB.

Hope this helps.

Ask a Question