I don't know if it is normal that the hard drive is starting up when asleep.

Reaction score
I have an iMac 27" that is late 2014 version.
Here are some details about it (I don't know if this is necessary but just in case):
OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5
Retina 5k 27 inch
3.5 GHz Intel Core i5

I had an issue where it would die and not start up no matter what and luckily I had apple care and of course when I took it to the store it started right up. They ran diagnostics and everything came back okay.

Ever since I took it there I noticed that when the computer is asleep I hear the hard drive start up. There is a possibility that I just didn't notice it before but I thought I'd ask just in case. It does it quite frequently, like at least 4 or 5 times per hour. It isn't terribly loud but I definitely notice it.

I'm not sure if there is a certain setting I need to change or if it is normal for it to happen. I've looked it up but I haven't been able to find anyone else with the same issue.

Thanks!!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Check in System Preferences... > Energy Saver to see if the following are checked:

-Put hard disks to sleep when possible
-Wake for Ethernet network access

Change their checked/unchecked status and see of that solves the issue.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Check in System Preferences... > Energy Saver to see if the following are checked:

-Put hard disks to sleep when possible
-Wake for Ethernet network access

Change their checked/unchecked status and see of that solves the issue.

C

I looked and they both are checked. Should I uncheck any of them?

Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You can try unchecking both to see if the issue resolves itself. You can always re-check them if it doesn't.

C

Ask a Question