How to turn off startup tone on iMac

Reaction score
Hi,
I live in a quiet place and when I turn on my computer in the morning it says "TA-DA!" Well not exactly, but I think you all know what I mean. How can I turn that off so my computer starts up quietly without notes? Thanks.

Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't realize that. It's a good suggestion to mute the sound when I shut it down for the night. I'll do that, thanks!

Reaction score
Hi,

I remember my brother arriving home late a night use a old earphone jack that he had cut the ear buds off, just plugged the jack in and booted his Mac silently. Simple silly solution but does work:)

Reaction score
The start up sound is independent of the headphone jack. Inserting a jack into the socket won't mute the startup sound.

Reaction score
When I was a new mum I used the mute button at shut down to turn off the start-up sound - to make sure I didn't wake up the baby when I needed to turn on the Mac. It can be quite a shock especially if you have some brilliant Harmon Kardon speakers and a sub-woofer attached!

Now that the babies are teenagers I use it as a wake up call, it gets them out of bed quicker than anything else!

Reaction score
The startup chime is an audible cue that the Mac has passed all its hardware tests, it is not an arbitrary noise.

I can not be turned off.

Reaction score
Hi psoup04,

I have just tested muting sound on both my MBP 2013 and 2010 White MacBook, and on restart both are silent. This is running ML all fully updated

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
The Mac startup chime always reminds me of the opening bar of Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares To You"

Ask a Question