how to stop zipping of files

Reaction score
My new MacBook Air 13 automatically zips all attached files. These are unable to be read by most receivers. How do I stop this?

Reaction score
What Mail software are you using?
Check Edit > Attachments > Always send Windows friendly Attachments is checked.

Reaction score
Hi,

Never found pages does this, it is your email client, but a Pages document is a package which is really a folder hierarchy. And it is not possible to send folders by email. It must be first archived somehow.Mac Mail does it for you automatically, using the zip format.

Bottom line if the recipient is using Windows pc they may just see the zipped file.

As a test have a look at one of these emails in your outbox, and when you click the attachment mail will auto open it and you will see your pages doc.
The other way round this if they are using windows is once you have created the pages doc, choose export as a word doc rather than save.
Hope this explains what is happening.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

Never found pages does this, it is your email client, but a Pages document is a package which is really a folder hierarchy. And it is not possible to send folders by email. It must be first archived somehow.Mac Mail does it for you automatically, using the zip format.

Bottom line if the recipient is using Windows pc they may just see the zipped file.

As a test have a look at one of these emails in your outbox, and when you click the attachment mail will auto open it and you will see your pages doc.
The other way round this if they are using windows is once you have created the pages doc, choose export as a word doc rather than save.
Hi,

Thanks, I wrote 'file' by mistake. It happens to any document I try to attach to an email. even if it is just one page. It's a new laptop. I assume there is something in settings that needs adjusting. I can't take it back to where I bought it because I am a traveller and am no longer in that place. I can stop the zipping if I change the format before I attach it but this is very annoying to have to do it to every document.

Reaction score
Hi,

It is not pages zipping these doc's it is your email client.
Please tell use what program / client you use to send emails.

Reaction score
Hi,

It is not pages zipping these doc's it is your email client.
Please tell use what program / client you use to send emails.
I use Mail/Yahoo- is that what you mean? It didn't happen with my old MacBook- just with the new one

Reaction score
Hi,

it is your email client, but a Pages document is a package which is really a folder hierarchy. And it is not possible to send folders by email. It must be first archivedsomehow.Mac Mail does it for you automatically, using the zip format.
It is the fact you are sending to windows PC.

Ask a Question