How to open TIF files

Reaction score
Hi I have a Mac desk top, OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan. I can not open tif files with Preview. How do I open tif's ?? THANKS so much, Steve

Reaction score
Yes, both. I am pretty sure it worked under El Capitan. I used to do sports photography part time a few years ago and I still have images in all manner of formats.

Reaction score
Hmm, I downloaded a TIFF file, and had no issues opening it with Preview. I did not need to convert it. Is it possible that some TIF/TIFF files cannot be opened "directly" with Preview, but need to be converted first? (I am using the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.6).

Reaction score
Hi I have a Mac desk top, OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan. I can not open tif files with Preview. How do I open tif's ?? THANKS so much, Steve
Try this: single-click one of your .tif files and press Command-I (Get Info under the File Menu). Near the bottom of the info window, there's a pop-up called "Open With." Choose Preview. Under that there's a button labeled "Change All..." Press ok in the resulting dialog box and Preview should then open all your .tif files.

I know this because I had a problem with graphics/photos opening in Preview when I wanted them to open in Photoshop and this procedure worked like a charm for me.

As for Preview needing to convert anything, the only time I've seen that happen would be double-clicking an .eps file and Preview would do it's thing when I actually wanted Illustrator to open them. I repeated the same steps above and now I never have to bother with Preview.

Reaction score
Try this: single-click one of your .tif files and press Command-I (Get Info under the File Menu). Near the bottom of the info window, there's a pop-up called "Open With." Choose Preview. Under that there's a button labeled "Change All..." Press ok in the resulting dialog box and Preview should then open all your .tif files.

I know this because I had a problem with graphics/photos opening in Preview when I wanted them to open in Photoshop and this procedure worked like a charm for me.

As for Preview needing to convert anything, the only time I've seen that happen would be double-clicking an .eps file and Preview would do it's thing when I actually wanted Illustrator to open them. I repeated the same steps above and now I never have to bother with Preview.

After days and weeks of struggle and expense, I happened to stumble on this same solution. It works for very many large tiff files.

Ask a Question