How to Mount SuperDuper backup from G5 PPC on new PowerMac Intel?

Reaction score
My trusty G5 PPC running OSX 10.4 died. I replaced it with a new Mac Pro running 10.6.7. The problem is that I cannot get the new machine to recognize my SuperDuper backup from the old G5. The backup(s) are on an external LaCie HD with both Firewire (400 and 800) and USB ports, in Raid 1.

Disk utility does not see the LaCie in FW or USB. Because it's an external drive, I can't boot from it in target mode. If I can't mount the LaCie, not only can't I use the SuperDuper backup to restore data, but I won't be able to subsequently reformat it in GUID to use as a b/u HDD for the new Mac Pro.

I would really like to not disassemble the LaCie in order to use the drives in my NewerTech Voyager external bay.

Can anyone help?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi Anthroprof and welcome to mac-forums :)

AFAIK, your PPC G5 and your new Mac Pro aren't compatible in that way ... I think your MB would reject the data on your LaCie as the OS structure for PPC was replaced with Intel a few years back now. I think your latest MB would be possibly use one of the new intel chips, i5, i6 or i7 ... to be honest with you Anthroprof, I'm a bit out of the loop with my iMac Core 2 Duo ... I'm lucky to have pressured Apple Aust to replace my lemon G5 just as it was on the last day of it's 1 year parts/labour warranty ;)

You may need a friend with an older mac to help you out OR at the very worst, disassembling the LaCie ... I don't know what's involved in that, but I hope you can save your data :)

Ask a Question