How to get OS software?

Reaction score
Brand new to Apple products.I have used and repaired Windows for 25+ years but some one recently gave me a Mac that needs restoring and I can't figure out where to get software. There are no restore places on the computer. When I am under utilities screen and click on recover OS I get message that the server cannot be contacted. I can't get it from Apple website as it only available to Apple computers. The OS on the computer is High Sierra. If a person had to replace a bad HD what would they do to reload system

Reaction score
Brand new to Apple products.I have used and repaired Windows for 25+ years but some one recently gave me a Mac that needs restoring and I can't figure out where to get software. There are no restore places on the computer. When I am under utilities screen and click on recover OS I get message that the server cannot be contacted. I can't get it from Apple website as it only available to Apple computers. The OS on the computer is High Sierra. If a person had to replace a bad HD what would they do to reload system
What kind of Mac are we talking about? What year, kind of drive (SSD vs hard drive), etc. Are you able to make it run? Even if it is running High Sierra presently, it’s usually better to install the newest version that it can run, for better compatibility with newer apps.

To get the system software installer, you need to be connected to the internet. If you are able to connect to the web now, then there’s no reason why you cannot connect to Apple’s servers. You will also need to run Terminal.

Reaction score
I really know little about the computer as it was given to me in this condition. It is a all in one and I can't find any model number or serial number anywhere on it, It has a small blue tooth keyboard and is tan in color. It is heavy and is made of metal not plastic. The computer boots to a screen giving me four choices to select. One of these choices is to connect to recovery server. When I choose this I get a screen showing High Sierra click to continue, Clicking this gets a message after several seconds"recovery server cannot be contacted" I can use the icon in the upper right corner to connect to wi-fi and also to be sure I plugged in a ethernet cable. Even thought it hooks to internet there is no browser to goes to websites. I don't know any one with an Apple to try to download OS on USB. I would appreciate any help. As I said I am used to Windows where it is simple to obtain software

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay The four choices are 1 Restore from time machine 2 Reinstall MacOS 3 Get Help online 4 Disc utility. Since my last post I found out to do a start up using the D key. I have tried starting from both OS and recovery OS.
It boots to Apple Logo and progress bar. The bar progresses to the end but nothing further happens. I let it set like this overnight per advice I found on Apple website.

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay The four choices are 1 Restore from time machine 2 Reinstall MacOS 3 Get Help online 4 Disc utility. Since my last post I found out to do a start up using the D key. I have tried starting from both OS and recovery OS.
It boots to Apple Logo and progress bar. The bar progresses to the end but nothing further happens. I let it set like this overnight per advice I found on Apple website.

Ask a Question