How to get Mail to completely delete downloaded emails from GMail?

Reaction score
After downloading emails from GMail, those emails are NOT deleted from GMail.

I want the downloaded GMail emails deleted from the GMail server after Mail has downloaded them.

How to accomplish this?

I am not asking about deleting email from GMail's Trash, Junk etc.

I need the newly download GMail's deleted from GMail after Mail has downloaded them.

Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

OK, I think I understand.

The only way to do what you are asking, since Gmail is setup as IMAP, is to create mailboxes in the On My Mac section in the Mail application on your Mac and drag/move the emails from the inbox to those folders. Those are "local" folders that are only accessible on your Mac. When you do this, you can login to Gmail via the web, and you wil see the emails are no longer in your inbox in Gmail.

Because it is setup as IMAP, Mail syncs with the Gmail server to display email on your Mac...it doesn't actually "move" it.

Does that sound like what you want to do?

C

Reaction score
". . . create mailboxes in the On My Mac section in the Mail application on your Mac and drag/move the emails from the inbox to those folders."

Hmmm, but will those emails that I "moved" in my Mac still show in GMail's "All Mail" ?

If so, then this suggestion does not delete the emails from GMail?

Ask a Question