How to eject CD from a 2009 Mini without an OS?

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to the Forum, but I've been all Apple since the IIe. I have a late 2009 Mini, MC239LL/A. After years of faithful service the hard drive was dying so I replaced it with a "new" 2012 Mini last year.

Recently I noticed that SSDs had gotten cheap and I read that the 2009s could run El Capitan. My Great-Grandson is getting to the age where he could have a computer. So I though it best to start him on a Mac before someone gives him a PC.

Installing the SSD was a breeze thanks to YouTube. But when I went to insert a boot CD I found there had been one left in the optical drive. Without an OS none of the commands to eject work. It doesn't help that I don't have any Mac keyboards as these old fingers need something more ergonomic. So no eject key.

Any suggestions? Could I boot from an external optical drive? After removing the case again I see there are some holes in the drive. Paperclip??

BTW while I use a computer or a tablet 6-8 hours a day I'm not all that tech savvy. So a dumbed down answer would be appreciated.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Whatever you try don't use anything sharp or use excessive force … after a quick google I found the following page which might help you, also read the 2 comments as they mention using tape too which could be the deciding factor for you.

Ejecting a stuck disc from Mac SuperDrive

Have a look at the tips at the above link, specifically the "tilt & shake" & the "disrupt the spin" paragraphs.

Reaction score
The Geniuses at the Apple Store also often have solutions for this, I won't go into detail but occasionally they can get it out for free for you. Make an appointment at your local store and let them have a look.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Holding the mouse button down immediately after pressing the power button until the disc ejects should be the best way. Have you tried that?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Holding the mouse button down immediately after pressing the power button until the disc ejects should be the best way. Have you tried that?

C
Thank you Cory. The restored old Mini is up and running OS X 10.11.3 like a champ.

Right mouse button when turning it on ejected fine. But I must have damaged the optical drive trying to insert a 2nd disk. I was able to boot and install Snow Leopard from an external drive and upgrade from there.

$44 for an SSD, $14 for a Mini Display port adapter, $40 for a vey nice Samsung monitor off of Craig's list, plus an old mouse and keyboard I had laying around. Now for less than a C note, Elijah has a Mac that boots up quickly and has all the storage & speed any 6 year old genius needs.

And this old dog learned a few new tricks.

Ask a Question