How to bypass line in on Mac Book Pro

Reaction score
Hi,

The end of a speaker jack snapped off and got stuck in its home. I took it to two different mac shops and they couldn't retrieve it without replacing the motherboard for upwards of $800.

So i bought a usb sound device to plug my headphones in but i was wondering if there was any way of bypassing my computers internal parts that is telling it there is a speaker plugged in. Other way there is no way i can use my mac internal speakers.

Any help would be appreciated .

(e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
A super strong magnate might get it out. Just be carful not to let it get near the rest of the computer.
Also very carful SuperGlue on the end of a matchstick.

You might also have better luck taking it to an engineering workshop, they have all sorts of tools for this sort of jobs.

To answer your question, if it's 10.7 you can use Utilities > Audi MIDI Setup

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
A watchmaker might have the required tools to remove the tip. If you are using glue, you could try a straw cut down to size and insert that first, then put the match end through the straw & into the socket, to make sure you don't get any glue on it sides of the socket.

Ask a Question