How much faster would 802.11n (or g) be?

Reaction score
Our cable modem service has been very slow lately. I did some tests and found that the download speed was 6.8 Mbps when my laptop was connected as: cable modem to Linksys BEFSR 41 router via hardwire to laptop but it drops to 4.2 Mbps when connected as cable modem to Linksys BEFSR 41 to Apple Airport base "Snow" version (802.11b) via wireless to laptop.

The old Apple airport base station is clearly the bottleneck.

But, with an alum powerbook 15in containing an airport extreme receiver does anyone know if I would actually see a significant speed improvement (i.e. closer to the true cable modem download speed) if I were to buy a new airport base station?

I can't use a wireless router because of the distance between where the cable comes in to the house and connects to the modem & router (way on side of house) and where I mount the wireless transmitter in the center of the house (I fished ethernet cable long ago). So I have to have some sort of wireless transmitter in the middle of the house.

Thanks to any airport mavens out there with ideas on this.

Ask a Question