What is taking up so much room?

Reaction score
I have had my mac less than a year and have had this issue all along. Something is taking up a lot of space...I added 2 screen shots to show 114.8 GBs are used but can only show where 40.4 are located. Please help!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 5.43.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 5.43.00 PM.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 277
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 5.42.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 5.42.30 PM.png
    111.2 KB · Views: 261

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The "missing" space is probably being taken up by files in the hidden Library folders. OmniDiskSweeper is a great application, but it doesn't report on all files unless it is run as root.

How to Find & Recover Missing Hard Drive Space

That article should help you out. Let us know if you need any additional help deciphering which files are taking up the added space, and if it is safe to delete them. As always, we recommend that you have a current Time Machine or other backup before attempting to delete files to reclaim space.

C

Reaction score
Found the issues were on my wife's account. Was able to clear 35 GBs. Thanks so much. Would not have seen it if I hadn't read your post. Thanks again.

Reaction score
There are some hidden folders inside your profile, which you can’t see unless you set the folder option in Explorer to show hidden files. You can also use software like Treesize (free) that will do tasks for you automatically

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
There are some hidden folders inside your profile, which you can’t see unless you set the folder option in Explorer to show hidden files. You can also use software like Treesize (free) that will do tasks for you automatically
***NOTE: These suggestions are for Windows, not OS X.

C

Ask a Question