?: How do you back up photo files to EXHD

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a photographer and have a lot of large image files on my 2009 MBP running Lion 10.7.5

I have an external hard drive that i use for Time Machine, but wanted to add another external hard drive to store my photo image files only.

Is it as simple as just buying another external hard drive that is formatted for Mac and plugging it in and simply dragging the files i want to move onto the new external hard drive icon? After that i would just delete the image files from my MBP HD?

I wasn't sure if i needed to tell my MPB that the new external hard drive was not to be used for Time Machine back up and that it was only going to be used for storing my photo files and/or how to do that if necessary (?)

Thanks so much for helping me.

best to you,

rick

Reaction score
Hi,

If your image file are all in iPhoto, Aperture then once drive is formatted and connected you need to copy then paste your iPhoto library to the new drive.
iPhoto pictures are stored within your home /Pictures/ directory, in a file called iPhoto Library.

If your image files are in different locations then just do the same, I personally have 3 libraries that get backed up to TM and just switch between depending on the work I'm doing.

Reaction score
Aperture has a built in back option call the Vault.

I'd use it as a TimeMachine backup then you not only get all your photos but everything else too...

Ask a Question