Photoshop files not opening correctly

Reaction score
I had a major system crash within the past month that required repairs to file directories and OS files. I also upgraded the OS from Panther to Tiger. Now that I have my computer back, I suddenly can't open Photoshop files by either double-clicking them or dragging and dropping onto the Photoshop icon. The only way to open them is FILE > OPEN from within Photoshop. When I try to drag and drop or double-click, it will open Photoshop, but not the file. No error message is given.

I was told by some Mac IT people at work to trash my Adobe preferences and that should take care of it, but I tried that and it did not. Another is telling me to re-install my Creative Suite. What are your opinions of the best way to handle this? If I re-install, do I need to clean out anything first?

Mac G5 Dual 1.8
RAM: 1.5 GB
Original Creative Suite (first version)

Reaction score
I had a major system crash within the past month that required repairs to file directories and OS files. I also upgraded the OS from Panther to Tiger. Now that I have my computer back, I suddenly can't open Photoshop files by either double-clicking them or dragging and dropping onto the Photoshop icon. The only way to open them is FILE > OPEN from within Photoshop. When I try to drag and drop or double-click, it will open Photoshop, but not the file. No error message is given.

I was told by some Mac IT people at work to trash my Adobe preferences and that should take care of it, but I tried that and it did not. Another is telling me to re-install my Creative Suite. What are your opinions of the best way to handle this? If I re-install, do I need to clean out anything first?

Mac G5 Dual 1.8
RAM: 1.5 GB
Original Creative Suite (first version)
Have you tried repairing permissions?

Reaction score
No, I haven't. I guess I assumed the repair shop would have done that, but it can't hurt to do it again even if they have already, right? Where do I find the utilty to do that?

Thanks.

Reaction score
No, I haven't. I guess I assumed the repair shop would have done that, but it can't hurt to do it again even if they have already, right? Where do I find the utilty to do that?

Thanks.
It's called Disc Utility and it's located in your Applications folder inside of the Utilities folder.

Reaction score
Okay, so I repaired the disk permissions. The only thing it found to repair was something in my iTunes. I restarted and tried to open a Photoshop file again, but no luck. Should I just do the re-install at this point? If so, is there anything I need to do to prep for a re-install?

Reaction score
Okay, so I repaired the disk permissions. The only thing it found to repair was something in my iTunes. I restarted and tried to open a Photoshop file again, but no luck. Should I just do the re-install at this point? If so, is there anything I need to do to prep for a re-install?
A re-install certainly wouldn't hurt. There's nothing to do as far as doing a prep for the re-install. However, after you reinstall Creative Suite, repair the permissions again and reboot and see what happens. If it still doesn't work, you might try to set up another account on your Mac and see if Photoshop works as it should in the newly created account. :)

Ask a Question