how do uninstall software?

Reaction score
sorry to ask such a dumb question, but I need to unistall software that I installed the other week. Do I just drag it into the trash? If not how? It's different than for my PC.
thabks

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Bob and welcome !

For the most part you can just drag the Application out of the Applications folder into the trash.

Generally the only bits left behind are ".plist" files (preferences), you can get rid of these, but they take up no space and don't do any harm.

There is special software that you can get that does it for you such as AppZapper.

regards

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

What software is it? We can probably help you manually get all the files if the software doesn't have an uninstaller.

C

SwampWitch

Reaction score
I'm curious about this, too. If there's no uninstaller, is there a procedure to get everything out? I've used "find" but are there files embedded? I have OS X and it's different from what I was used to.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

(Version 10.4.7)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Well, for 99% of users, simply dragging the app to the Trash and emptying it will remove 95% of the installation. There are help files, preference files, etc. in a couple of locations, but I wouldn't advise rooting around and trashing things without knowing what you're doing.

I would be happy to help on a case-by-case basis.

Ric

Reaction score
Another application you can use is Yank.

I tried the demo but didn't have great success...

regards

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Ric,

Did you try it on an Intel Mac before they ironed out the bugs? Also, it won't uninstall things that are already there...only those that are installed using the Yank workflow.

C

SwampWitch

Reaction score
I used to compare my system folder to the one on the disk that came with the computer. It was pretty easy to see what needed to be there and what I could throw away. I don't have a system folder any more. Do I have to go through everything? Or should I really just forget about it? Thanks for help on this.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

If you let me know what software you are trying to remove, I might be able to help you get all the files. Otherwise, if you have trashed the application itself and any files found by searching, you probably got all the parts that would matter and take up any significant space.

C

SwampWitch

Reaction score
GIMP. It seems it put stuff everywhere. I think I got it all but am not sure.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Ric

Reaction score
On a side note...have a look at SuperDuper, it's a great (cheap) backup utility that also has a "SandBox" mode.

You can setup a Sandbox install software, play with it and if you don't like it go back to how you were pre install. (Tutorial to follow, later this week.)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I want to uninstall Microsoft Office for Mac 2008. I damaged the applications by moving the folder and now have to uninstall and re-install.

Ask a Question