Uninstall OSX El Capitan

Reaction score
I recently downloaded El Capitan and have had nothing but problems. I would like to uninstall El Capitan but do not know how to do it.

Reaction score
Regarding your photos on an external drive, what do you mean by "although they have been compromised by el capitan"?

Secondly, did you upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan? If you did, do you still that the file entitled "Install OS X Yosemite" someplace? If not, did you download any Yosemite upgrades from the App Store prior to obtaining El Capitan? If either you have that Yosemite file, or you previously downloaded Yosemite upgrades from the App Store, then it is possible to go back to Yosemite.

Additionally, have you been performing any "periodic" disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs on your machine? If your machine is not "that recent" (by the way, what exact Mac model do you have?), and you have been performing little, if any, such disk-related tasks, that can present problems.

Reaction score
Regarding your photos on an external drive, what do you mean by "although they have been compromised by el capitan"? Once I downloaded El Capitan, I was prompted to transfer my pictures to Photos and now I can't seem to do anything with them.

Secondly, did you upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan? If you did, do you still that the file entitled "Install OS X Yosemite" someplace? If not, did you download any Yosemite upgrades from the App Store prior to obtaining El Capitan? If either you have that Yosemite file, or you previously downloaded Yosemite upgrades from the App Store, then it is possible to go back to Yosemite. I did not have Yosemite to my knowledge......I guess you can tell I'm not very techie. I always did install any OSX updates that my computer prompted me to do, but Yosemite doesn't ring a bell at all.

Additionally, have you been performing any "periodic" disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs on your machine? If your machine is not "that recent" (by the way, what exact Mac model do you have?), and you have been performing little, if any, such disk-related tasks, that can present problems.
I have a MacBook Pro that I bought in 2009. It has always been used just for personal use, mostly IPhoto and I have a Karaoke Program on it....both on my external drive.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it could take some effort to get you back up and running smoothly. Not having a backup, and not performing any disk maintenance tasks, certainly does not help.

Is there any chance you have any original OS Snow Leopard DVDs? If you do, that could be an excellent place to start. But, you can go to the App Store, then click "Purchased", and it would show you all the stuff you have downloaded from the App Store. That would be a good way of starting with a "viable" OS.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it could take some effort to get you back up and running smoothly. Not having a backup, and not performing any disk maintenance tasks, certainly does not help.

Is there any chance you have any original OS Snow Leopard DVDs? If you do, that could be an excellent place to start. But, you can go to the App Store, then click "Purchased", and it would show you all the stuff you have downloaded from the App Store. That would be a good way of starting with a "viable" OS.
I have my original Mac OS X start-up disc and Applications Install DVD

Reaction score
OK, those original items would be the place to start. But, please clarify something. When you say "Mac OS X start-up disc", is that "part" of the DVD? That is, do you just have one DVD?

Assuming that is the case, does it say what version of the Mac OS X it is? It should/would state it on the DVD label.

Reaction score
OK, those original items would be the place to start. But, please clarify something. When you say "Mac OS X start-up disc", is that "part" of the DVD? That is, do you just have one DVD?

Assuming that is the case, does it say what version of the Mac OS X it is? It should/would state it on the DVD label.
Mac OS Version 10.6, Disc Version 1.0; Also have Applications Install DVD, AHT Version 3A174, Disc Version 1.0
I will be without internet all day Tuesday, but will check back with you on Wednesday. Thanks so much.

Reaction score
Mac OS Version 10.6, Disc Version 1.0; Also have Applications Install DVD, AHT Version 3A174, Disc Version 1.0
I will be without internet all day Tuesday, but will check back with you on Wednesday. Thanks so much.
I have internet service again, so if you wish to continue, I would appreciate it.

Reaction score
OK, sounds good. But, this will be a somewhat long, involved, and detailed process. It would be best if you first make a backup to an external device, as the process will involve deleting everything on your internal drive at the start (don't worry, you will be able to do that (and the other tasks) after booting from the DVD). Given that you have an external drive, that is the first thing you should do, and Time Machine is OK for that. You already have it via your current OS, El Capitan. The other thing you'll need to do is to "get to" OS 10.6.8, which was the last version of OS 10.6, Snow Leopard. You should download from here, and then include in your backup:

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399?locale=en_US

Note that is a Combo Updater, which is the way to go whenever updating a current version of an OS to an upgraded version of that same OS. Note also that under System Requirements, you just need to have any version of Snow Leopard, from V 10.6 through V 10.6.7.

Here are the results of a google search I just did of "El Capitan and Time Machine":

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sno...sm=119&ie=UTF-8#q=El+Capitan+and+Time+Machine

And, the fourth one on that "list:":

is a youtube video of how to do it.

I have some things to do this afternoon, and thus will not be able to provide a further detailed, step by step, plan for you until this evening (not sure where you are located, but I live just south of Seattle, WA).

Additionally, do you use any third party applications, like, for example, Office 2008, Google Chrome, etc.? If you do, it is important that you have them somewhere, and also that you have the latest, Snow Leopard-compatible versions of each such application.

There is a possibility that another, knowledgeable individual will post what you need to do (there are a number of such folks on here who would be an excellent resource).

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK, sounds good. But, this will be a somewhat long, involved, and detailed process. It would be best if you first make a backup to an external device, as the process will involve deleting everything on your internal drive at the start (don't worry, you will be able to do that (and the other tasks) after booting from the DVD). Given that you have an external drive, that is the first thing you should do, and Time Machine is OK for that. You already have it via your current OS, El Capitan. The other thing you'll need to do is to "get to" OS 10.6.8, which was the last version of OS 10.6, Snow Leopard. You should download from here, and then include in your backup:

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399?locale=en_US

Note that is a Combo Updater, which is the way to go whenever updating a current version of an OS to an upgraded version of that same OS. Note also that under System Requirements, you just need to have any version of Snow Leopard, from V 10.6 through V 10.6.7.

Here are the results of a google search I just did of "El Capitan and Time Machine":

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sno...sm=119&ie=UTF-8#q=El+Capitan+and+Time+Machine

And, the fourth one on that "list:":

is a youtube video of how to do it.

I have some things to do this afternoon, and thus will not be able to provide a further detailed, step by step, plan for you until this evening (not sure where you are located, but I live just south of Seattle, WA).

Additionally, do you use any third party applications, like, for example, Office 2008, Google Chrome, etc.? If you do, it is important that you have them somewhere, and also that you have the latest, Snow Leopard-compatible versions of each such application.

There is a possibility that another, knowledgeable individual will post what you need to do (there are a number of such folks on here who would be an excellent resource).
Thanks, I will give it a try....I am in Yuma, Az (Cdn snowbird, older and not very computer wise)

Reaction score
Thanks, I will give it a try....I am in Yuma, Az (Cdn snowbird, older and not very computer wise)
I have decided this is too complicated for me and am going to take it to a computer place for repair. THANK YOU so much for trying to help me.

Ask a Question