Unable to use an uninstaller after installing an app

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Short version:
I installed a 80 MB app and now I want to uninstall it, but the uninstaller doesn't work on my Mac OSX 10.6.8 (only the uninstaller requires a more recent version, although the app doesn't...??) so I decided to delete it manually, only to find out the files I am deleting sum up to roughly 1 MB. Where is the rest?? I need space on this Mac!

Longer version:
I've been a Mac user for a dozen years now, but I still lack some basic knowledge at times.
Today, I have just encountered a problem that I never had because my "newest" Mac is getting old (bought in 2011, MacBook Pro with OSX 10.6.8) and this has never happened to me before.

A couple of months ago I downloaded Chrome Remote Desktop, installed it and used it without problems.
Today at launch, it told me I had to download it again without explanations (alas, I didn't think properly) so I did, because it just wouldn't work without doing so. A 30 MB package, resulting in an "installing this software will take 78MB on your disk" warning. OK, within average.
Then, again, wondering why this was happening, I installed it. After that, it kept telling me to download and install the app, which I had just done so it made no sense. I tried restarting and all, but it just didn't work.
Since I'm quite busy and can't just spend an hour trying to figure out why the hell an app stops working, I decided to uninstall it, but a popup told me I needed 10.7 or higher to run the uninstaller. This is a side quest for me: isn't it just WRONG to provide an app that runs on your current system, just to find out that you need a different system to delete it? It sounds like "FREE ENTRANCE!* * pay when you leave"...
Anyway.
So I tried to manually delete the app, and when I finally found it–not along with all the other apps in Macintosh HD, and not even with the other Chrome apps, but in my local folder, the one with my name. Whatever–I deleted it and checked the size: it was about 1 MB.
Since the installation took 78 MB, 77 MB are still in my Mac, but I can't find that stuff as the only file created I could find was the 30 MB package, and rightly so (I guess the installer does't "create" files).

So... any solutions? I use this Mac for work (side angry note: I don't like nor trust Yosemite and truly dislike how they changed Numbers and Pages–I want a Mac, not a large iPhone with keyboard!–so I'm stuck with this old machine for work) and I need to optimize space, so even just 100 MB mean something to me.

Anyone can help?
But seriously, I felt that Apple has turned into a Mac-user traitor from El Capitan on. They're trying to make us think that the new smartphone-like approach is better than the old school "powerful, versatile and customizable" machine it was. They are basically forcing a worse alternative and this alternative sucks, and they're winning because as a kid most of us were too lazy to learn Linux. Dayum!

Reaction score
You can try the excellent freeware application AppCleaner, which is available from here:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

You will need to download version 2.3. The "only" thing is you'll need the original application itself in order to drop it onto the AppCleaner screen. AppCleaner will then find all the associated files, and offer you the chance to delete all of them.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info, I'll use this for normal apps.

This also helped me realise one important thing: the Google RemoteDesktop thing is not a proper app, it's more like a plugin - and all the files I can find using the Appcleaner app don't include such bast**ds. In fact, examining all the files that can be found using this Appcleaner, I don't even reach half of the size of what I installed.

I am assuming that either I delete Chrome, or I'll get stuck with this 170 MB (had to reinstall it to run Appcleaner......) of ghost trash on my Mac.

Why is Google doing things so hard to work with recently?

Ask a Question