SOLVED How do I manage installersandboxes?

Reaction score
I'm working on a mac mini for a client and it can't update Xcode because there's not enough disk space.

Disk Drill shows that I have 3 sandboxes for xcode all at 35gb and 2 smaller ones at 18gb and 2gb. That's 50% of the disk space!

The client has 2 apps so the numbers don't add up. If they are related to apps how do I delete them when I'm done working on an app?

I did have a second user account but deleted that because it was taking up too much space. Could it be a hangover from that?

Can I delete them? turn them off? and how?

Attachments

• installersandboxes.png
    installersandboxes.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 38
Reaction score
I'm working on a mac mini for a client and it can't update Xcode because there's not enough disk space.

Disk Drill shows that I have 3 sandboxes for xcode all at 35gb and 2 smaller ones at 18gb and 2gb. That's 50% of the disk space!

The client has 2 apps so the numbers don't add up. If they are related to apps how do I delete them when I'm done working on an app?

I did have a second user account but deleted that because it was taking up too much space. Could it be a hangover from that?

Can I delete them? turn them off? and how?
Ouch! I had to remove Xcode too, not because of space problems but because it just takes so much time to install updates. I used AppCleaner.app to remove it. It should take care of removing the sandboxed data as well.

You can always reinstall Xcode from the App Store in future.

Reaction score
I found a lot of conflicting advice from "you need to reinstall your os" to "never touch those files" to "it's ok to delete" but eventually found this screen with a 7gb cache
> This Mac > Storage > Manage > Developer
That wasn't going to make much difference but I gave it a try and freed up enough space to upgrade xcode.

I've also deleted the sandboxes using this command, Xcode seems happy so far.
> sudo rm -rf /Library/InstallerSandboxes/.PKInstallSandboxManager

Reaction score
Hi,

I agree with Tony, AppCleaner should take care of any associated files re the system program that you wish to remove. TrashMe is also good of newer system:)

Ask a Question