Download management

Reaction score
I bring a lot of photos from my iPhone to my Mac through AirDrop, and now have a huge file of Downloads. I would like to drag them by category to project files, but it seems I can only do one at a time, and then it just goes to Adobe Acrobat. The images also have no names, or ways to name them, so they come in as IMG with just a number. They used to be sorted by date, but not anymore. Has this changed recently? Do I have to attach to to emails? I'm working on a project with about 60 images, and do I really need to address them one at a time just to move them around?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Photos are a little easier to manage using the import feature of the Photos application when the iPhone is connected.

When importing photos via AirDrop, there aren't any controls for renaming or organizing them. You can use QuickLook to view them quickly, then rename them as you go.

In a Finder window of the Downloads folder, if you change to List View, you can organize them by date by clicking Date Modified at the top of the window. Click again if the oldest are on the top of the list instead of the newest. You can select more than one image file by holding the Command key and clicking on the ones you want. You can then move them all at once.

At some point, the files have become associated with Adobe Acrobat. You can change it to have Preview (normal setting) as the default application, by right-clicking on one and choosing Get Info from the contextual menu that appears. In the Open with: section of the Get Info window, click on Adobe Acrobat and choose Preview from the drop-down list. Then, click Change All.. button and click Continue in the box that pops up. That will set all files of that type to open in Preview not Adobe Acrobat.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question