How do I download OS 10.3 and make a bootable CD

Reaction score
Hi someone gave me an iMac G5 20". I believe the G5 had iOS 10.3. When it boots i get the question mark and a folder. Thinking someone wiped their hard drive before getting rid of the G5. will also be using a PC keyboard. How do I get into the Mac's configuration settings want to make sure the hard drive is being detected.

Reaction score
thanks for the info. right now i am back and trying to make sure i can detect the hard drive, cdrom, usb stick. any boot device. so there is a hard drive installed and i put in a low capacity thumb drive with junk files on it. turned off the iMac G5, then back on again. I have a windows keyboard and mouse attached. I did the rapid tapping of both the ALT keys on both sides of the space bar and i got a screen that shows on the left a clockwise arrow curved like a C. Then on the right an arrow pointing left that has a frame around it like it's highlighted. after awhile an arrow cursor appears in the top left that disappears if i do any keyboard keys. so there you have it. what should i do?

Reaction score
Holding down the Option key at boot brings you into the "New World ROM". You will only see the internal hard drive or Firewire device that has a bootable OS on it. Not sure if the G5 iMac supports USB booting.

What you need to do is have a bootable CD inserted and boot while holding down the C key. Then you should be able to format the drive or install an OS on the internal if it is seen.

Reaction score
Got it, thanks....the options key on a Windows KB is ALT? is a MAC mouses and a Windows mouse the same?

Reaction score
Yes, the Alt key on a Windows keyboard should map as an Option key on a Mac. As far as the mouse goes, right click and left click are the same.

Ask a Question