How can I have a print screen?

Reaction score
In Pc's, I have tried many times the print screen button and I go to the paint and after that, I took that picture.

I just want to know that, how can I do that in Mac? :confused:

I have tried to do that in this way.
first i pressed the print screen button and after that i went to Preview software and there I did, File------>new from clip board. but, i have failed to take the picture that i wish to take.

I just want to know,
Is this the right way?:confused:
or
is there another way?:confused:
or
My print screen button isn't work?:confused:

thanks.

Reaction score
Hi ink2m,

To print screen on the Mac, just press Command-shift-3 which will take an image of the whole screen.

Command-shift-4 allows you select an area to take a picture of, and pressing space after Command-shift-4 you can click on virtually any window or menu/dock etc to take a picture of that.

Any of these commands leaves a file on your desktop that contains your picture and you can print from it if you like. (No need to open any program similar to paint to paste the screen image!)

Reaction score
okay, thanks. :)

then there is no use of the print screen button at the key board????

Reaction score
I am assuming you are using a non-Apple keyboard? If you are, there is no use for that button AFAIK. The Apple keyboard has no print screen button.

Reaction score
yep, you are right. this is not a mac keyboard. this is a keyboard type that most of pc's are using. I think the brand name is Macally or something like that. don't know well. sorry. :(

Reaction score
You can bind the print screen button (or F13, as macs call it) to take a screenshot if you go to "system preferences", then to "keyboard and mouse", then "keyboard shortcuts", click on the shortcut for "save picture of screen as a file" and press the print screen (F13) button (or click the shortcut for "copy picture of screen to the clipboard", then press F13 for it to act the same as on Windows [copy to clipboard, not saving as a file directly])

The PC keys print screen, scroll lock, and pause/break becomes F13, F14, and F15 in Mac OS, just as the Windows key on a non-apple keyboard becomes the command (apple) key (even if the position of it and alt/altgr (option) are switched between Apple and non-Apple keyboards).

Reaction score
then this is an apple keyboard. there is an apple key and also option key. i don't know. but no matter what, it does my all works. then there is no problem to me. with my apple, and all of you, I can do my works easily. thanks. :):):)

Reaction score
then this is an apple keyboard. there is an apple key and also option key. i don't know. but no matter what, it does my all works. then there is no problem to me. with my apple, and all of you, I can do my works easily. thanks. :):):)

Ah, yes, some manufacturers of Mac-centric keyboards (other than Apple, that is) puts PC-centric labels on some of the keys (I have an old ADB keyboard from Lap Power that has PC labels in addition to the Mac ones, even if it can't be plugged in to a PC), though no matter what keyboard you use, what matters is the position of the key, not what label the key has (with the exception of the Windows/Apple key)... so the keys after F12 on Macs just follow in logical order: F13, F14, F15 (as far as Mac OS is concerned).

Reaction score
yeah, that's true. I just tried to show you a pic of my keyboard. but, I have failed to connect my mobile to the computer. have to clean the contacts of the USB cable connector and also contacting points of the mobile.

Ask a Question