High Sierra 10.13.1 and CD-Rom

Reaction score
Now that Apple has updated High Sierra to 10.13.1 I am unable now to play CD-Rom disc that have my video lessons on them.
Does anyone know of a fix for this problem. Until Apple went to High Sierra everything worked fine.

I would be most grateful for any help

Regards

dennisl

Reaction score
Yes, as Spawn_Dooley asks, what software are you using to try and play what is on the CD? Along with that, what exact Mac model do you have? And does the CD show up on the desktop?

You could try the venerable software VLC, available from here:

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

It is definitely the best media player available, and it is free! Also, that version, V2.2.8, was just released the other day and improves compatibility with High Sierra.

One other thing is that the other day, Apple released V10.13.2 of High Sierra. Not sure if it would make any difference, though.

Reaction score
Can you outline exactly how you you are attempting to play these discs?
Hi Thanks for your reply, I have an Apple Disc Player connected to my Mac 21.5 desktop and I have installed VLC 2.2.8. I insert the CD Rom into the disc drive and when the disc icon appears on the screen, I click on that and VLC opens but then nothing, windows do open but there is no icon/button that will allow me to open the disc.

Befor I upgraded to 10.13.2 High Sierra, VLC worked like a charm but not now.

Regards

dennisl

Reaction score
Yes, as Spawn_Dooley asks, what software are you using to try and play what is on the CD? Along with that, what exact Mac model do you have? And does the CD show up on the desktop?

You could try the venerable software VLC, available from here:

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

It is definitely the best media player available, and it is free! Also, that version, V2.2.8, was just released the other day and improves compatibility with High Sierra.

One other thing is that the other day, Apple released V10.13.2 of High Sierra. Not sure if it would make any difference, though.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply

I have both the latest upgrade High Sierra 10.13.2 and VLC 2.2.8 but still unable to run the CD-Roms, DVD's work fine.

Regards

dennisl

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi, have you tried launching VLC first then insert the CD-Rom then go File ~> Advanced Open File ~> File tab ~> Browse...

Reaction score
Hi, have you tried launching VLC first then insert the CD-Rom then go File ~> Advanced Open File ~> File tab ~> Browse...

Thanks for your reply, I have done everything you have told me, the best I can come up with is VLC wants to convert every file on the discs to another format ( with 126 discs that is going to take sometime and a lot of storage space) However not all is lost, I went to a friend and borrowed a PC Laptop, installed VLC and the disc worked first time straight out of the box, I have tried a number of my discs and they all work fine. As much as I hate to say it, it looks like I have to go back to a PC got overcome this problem.

Thank you so much for trying to help me.

Kind regards

dennisl

Reaction score
Seems to be an issue with High Sierra. And definitely not encouraging, given that VLC is the best player out there. I installed V2.2.8, and as expected, it works fine with Sierra (V10.12.6). Maybe another reason to just avoid High Sierra?

Reaction score
This link discusses how to play .FLV files with VLC:

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-play-a-FLV-file-on-a-VLC-media-player

Note where it says "To play FLV formats in VLC you need to have certain codecs installed. ". Unfortunately, the article does not say what those codecs are. Yet you stated that before OS 10.13.x, VLC worked fine. Did you mean that VLC opened those ,flv files directly, and played them right away?

Reaction score
could be mencoder & mplayer the ffmpegX binaries?

Maybe (I actually don't know what those are, as I have always used VLC as is). But as the op originally stated, things were working fine with Sierra (OS 10.12.x). That's why it's so perplexing. I tried to "find" some .flv files to download, but was not successful. Can someone suggest any?

Of course, though, to make it a true test, I would need to "burn" those .flv files to a CD (which I can do, as I have a DVD drive that I can connect to either of my Macs).

Another possible "quirk" is that V2.2.6 of VLC was released somewhat "recently" (can't remember exactly when), and it was compatible with High Sierra (from what I understood at that time). However, V2.2.8 was released this past Wednesday, December 6th, and one of its "features" is "Fix compatibility with macOS 10.13 High Sierra", plus other features:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/5758/vlc-media-player

So, I don't know how "incompatible" V 2.2.6 was with High Sierra.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is going to seem like a dumb question, but are there different formats for CDs, like there are for HDDs/SSDs? It's been so long since I used any CDs/DVDs that I can't remember.

Along with that, I assume various individual file formats (like mp4, avi, flv, etc.) can be "mixed" on a CD/DVD.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

FLV files are Flash Video. As Adobe has announced, Flash will be end-of-life in 2020, but many of the major players have already abandoned/blocked Flash content. Sounds like Apple is one of the bleeding edgers here.

Your best bet would be to convert those files anyway, to guarantee future compatibility/playability.

C

Ask a Question