Help

Reaction score
Hi, ive been looking around and i havnt been able to find an answer to my question. Anyway my problem is this:

At the moment my family does not have a router and we have two computers, one PC (XP) which is downstairs and my imac G5 which is upstairs. The reason i havnt got round to getting a router for us is because my mum never really uses the internet that much, but whenever she needs to use it ill just unplug my adsl cable (is it) going into my modem so she can use it but the other day we both needed to do something so i unplugged like 6 times (and plugged it back in) but after like the 6th time the internet wouldnt reconnect :( as it normally would (i would open safari and wait until it says not connected etc... then press enter in the adress bar and it connects but now it isnt connecting here are some details:

Modem: D-link adsl cant remember the model but its preety standard

ummmmmm...... i remeber before in the network pref bit the ip adresss dispayed was 82. something but now its 192. something if that helps

please help me! anthing would be appreciatted

Ben:)

p.s. sorry for the massive essay

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ben & welcome !

First thing to try...unless you have already done this !

Turn the Mac off...turn the ADSL Modem off...

...then turn the ADSL Modem back on...wait till all the lights are green...(if you know what I mean)

Then boot the Mac up...does it connect to the Interenet now ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ben,

When the PC is connected to the ADSL Modem...I presume that connects okay ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
yea, the pc's fine with the adsl modem, i think myabe its something to do with the settings on the mac as on the network overview sort of think in the network prefs it says im connected and has the green thingy........the internet on my mac has always been very tempremental as ive never really set it up. thanks for being so helpful etc...

Ric

Reaction score
No Problem...

Do you know how to get in to the Admin Page of your ADSL Modem ?

You would normally type in an IP address such as 192.168.0.1 etc and then enter the username and password...it should be in the manual that came with it ?

The bit we need to find is the IP address of the modem...if you can get that then we can 'set' the relevant preferences on your Mac.

What version of OS X are you running ?

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
ok great, i can do tht just tell me what you need me top do.........if you like i can take a screenshot

p.s. im running tiger the latest update

Ric

Reaction score
Try this page to get the IP Address...

The chances are your ADSL Modem will be something like :-

Depending on how the ADSL modem is configured...the default if yoiu have never changed it, is for it to 'give' all the computers on the network an Ip address (DHCP)...

So the Modem may assign the PC with 192.168.0.2 and the Mac with 192.168.0.3

These numbers must be unique to the computer for it to work...

So if you look at the link above it shows you how to get the IP Addreses...can you post the relevant bits here...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
here are some pics, i thought itd be better than copying numbers out and getting some wrong, p.s. what window shot should i be changing the number in?

sorry for taking so much of your time, it is greatly appreciated

sorry but i didnt see the link in your above post......i might just be going crazy tho lol

Edit: Ric's Note: I have deleted the pics for Bens security... I have the info needed !

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ben !

Right how does the ADSL modem connect to your Mac ? via an Ethernet cable ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Quit out of the admin software, don't make any changes...

then go tot Stsytem Preferences--> Network--> Ethernet

and make sure that you are as below...

bennetwork.jpg

Make sure you click apply then shutdown...plug in the modem...them reboot and try again...

Reaction score
oh **** sorry before i mean ethetnet lol.....................im sorry but in your above post i cant see anything below? all i can see is you telling me to shut down.....im i doing something wrong?

thanks again

Ric

Reaction score
No problem !

What settings are in the Ethernet Setup...before we change it ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
ummmmm.....if you like i can really really quickly get you a screenshot....itl be like a minute as i did it before but didnt post it

Ric

Reaction score
It doesn't really matter, just interested into what had changed ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
i hate to break it but it hasnt worked :(, dont worry if your not interested anymore, i can just try and ring support up with a mac lol.......thanks for being so helpful....its probally something ive done wrong anyway

Reaction score
if it helps....again before when the internet was working i definatly remember the ip adress starting with an 82.

Ask a Question