Help with slow computer

Reaction score
After installing an 2nd drive in my iMac (Samsung 840 SSD) my computer has been much more sluggish. I have a quad core mid 2010 imac with 16gig of RAM, and before this is it was doing better than it is now. I moved all my sample libraries to the SSD and it works as far as fast upload times, but the computer is just running slow. Projects that used to run fine now spike the cpu and overload, and even doing simple things like typing can sometimes cause a drag. I took it into the apple store to get a hardware diagnostic done, and they say the only thing they found wrong was the LCD Temp cable was broke (which Ive ordered a new one and this does not effect speed) and that my harddrive failed an initial screen test but was most likely due to their being two drives. And I'd find it awfully coincidental that my harddrive would start failing right when I put an SSD in.

So basically I'm just trying to trouble shoot. I don't know if it's a hardware or software issue. I've run Onyx, MacKeeper, hardware diagnostics, so I'm starting to think 1 of 2 things; either I knocked something loose in the install and something is not physically right (I find this hard to believe), or the computer just doesn't like the SSD. Right now I'm in the process of redownloading my OS to install on the SSD, I'll boot from that and see if I have any issues to maybe narrow down the problem being with the HDD. OWC said that I could mail it into them and they'd look at it, but that will cost, so I'm trying to avoid that too.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them, composing is getting a little rough.

Ask a Question