Mac SUPER Slow *Help*

Reaction score
Hello, so my Mac has been running tremendously slow in the past week.

Takes almost an hour to turn on...
Opening anything takes few minutes

The operating system is up to date. I have 2.79gb free memory.

I put activity monitor in my dock & changed the icon to CPU usage & the 2nd row is completely full.
See pic: https://ibb.co/fT7pMF

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Reaction score
Hello,
first of all, 2.79gb of free memory - where do you see that number? if it's a Storage tab in About My Mac, your Mac is simply cluttered with data. Check for old movies, duplicates folder with photographs, iTunes libraries etc.
Also, when was the last time you cleaned caches on your Mac? Looked for unused apps? Check if you need to install any other updates, besides the operation system one, in Activity Monitor look for the heaviest processes and trace the apps that run them.

Reaction score
We need to know the following information:

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

2. What exact Mac OS are you running?

3. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs? There are both some excellent free and commercial tools to help you with that.

4. Are you making a backup (or backups) to an external device? If so, what software are you using?

5. How much free space is on your internal drive? To find out, just click on the icon for your internal drive, then point and click the File menu, and select "Get Info". You'll see a figure for "Available". If that is less than 20 to 30% of the drive's total capacity, that can contribute to your issue.

6. Do you have either MacKeeper or CleanMyMac on your machine? If so, get rid of them IMMEDIATELY, as they do more harm than good.

Ask a Question