Superdrive and MAC Mini 1.1

Reaction score
I'm using a MAC Mini 1.1, OS 10.6.8, and I just bought the new DVD Superdrive.

The MAC doesn't "see" the DVD player...there was nothing at Apple's website that indicated this combination wouldn't work. Is there something I should be doing so that I can use the new DVD player with my MAC?

Reaction score
combination wouldn't work
If Apple was to try to publish a list of everything that doesn't work with their products it would be impossible. You always have to look and see if its listed as working and if its not listed, then presume it doesn't.

The DVD player draws additional power from the USB port and it only works with products that can deliver additional power via the USB port.

Reaction score
I did check...the Apple website listed "MAC Mini" as compatible with Superdrive...it didn't say some Minis or this one or that.

Question: I tried connecting the DVD drive through a powered USB hub, but that didn't work, either.

Very frustrating.

Reaction score
There is hope...we're planning to convert the rest of our PCs to MAC Mini, and I'll donate the 1.1, and get the latest version.

Ordinarily, I'd say that that would be an expensive way to get Superdrive to work, but we've been thinking about this change for a while and this is one more reason (albeit small) to move on to Appleland.

Thank you for being so responsive...it's much appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
The Apple USB SuperDrive is only compatible with minis and other Macs that shipped without an optical drive. Mac mini support is limited to models that came out after the Late 2009 Mac mini Server and later. I wish it stated that more clearly on the website.

C

Reaction score
There's nothing like a little post-purchase information. But, as I mentioned earlier, we're very close to buying all new MAC Minis so I'm going to hang on the Superdrive until I can actually use it.

Thank you very much for the information you sent...I appreciate your taking the time to comment.

Ask a Question