Foreign object in superdrive

Reaction score
Help please...
I made a dumb mistake and accidentally inserted an SD card into superdrive instead of card slot. The SD card is now lodged just behind dust curtain at bottom of opening. Any ideas on how to retrieve it would be greatly appreciated... or will this require a technician to open my case? My system is a 2011 model 27" iMac.

Tks, psquare

Reaction score
Hi psquare,

Read this somewhere, hold the 27'' sideways and jump up and down sound silly I know but if you hear a click the card may just have fallen back to the drives dust flaps. If so hold it sideways on your knees and take a hair clip to ease out.

What had you been drinking :rolleyes: it must have been good.

If fails then Apple store.

Reaction score
Thanks Oldscribe. I was just way overtired... wish I had been drinking. Wouldn't have been fooling with SD card if I had. Mebbe I should have a drink before I do the "side-ways Mac dance." Seriously tho, I will try it. You can bet I won't use the Braille method for inserting cards in the future.

Reaction score
Finally, thanks in part to Oldscribe's advice and to my son's delicate touch, we were able to shake the SD card loose and fish it out. The Mac, the Superdrive and SD card all survived and are working fine. For Thanksgiving 2012, this dumb-a$$ is grateful to have escaped without a trip to the repair shop. Thanks to those who tried to help!

Ask a Question