Help with mail.

Reaction score
When I use my Mac at home I can't send outgoing mail via the mail application, I have to go to Mac.com and send mail that way. This is becoming very tiresome and I was hoping someone could help me solve this. I'm using Mac os x.
Thanks.

Reaction score
When I use my Mac at home I can't send outgoing mail via the mail application, I have to go to Mac.com and send mail that way. This is becoming very tiresome and I was hoping someone could help me solve this. I'm using Mac os x.
Thanks.

In your Mail Preferences do you have- smtp.mac.com:yourname next to the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) heading?

Reaction score
Yes it would seem I do

I can't send email
If you can't send email, try the following suggestions.

Verify that the SMTP server (for outgoing mail) is configured correctly.
If you try to send a message and a dialog appears saying you need permission, your administrator has restricted who you can send email to. Click Ask Permission to request permission from your administrator to send the message.
In Mail, choose Window > Connection Doctor and follow any instructions displayed in the Details column. Look to see if there is a problem with your outgoing mail server or a firewall, if applicable, or whether there was a login failure. If the Connection Doctor indicates a firewall problem: (a) Verify there is no firewall software blocking email traffic on port 25, 465, or 587. (b) Check whether you are affected by another firewall, either software installed separately from Mac OS X or built into an Internet sharing router, or administered by your ISP or network administrator. Contact the appropriate person to find out whether a firewall may be in place.
You may only be allowed to send email from a certain location. For example, if you can send email from school, you may not be allowed to send email through the school's outgoing email server when you are at home. Or, the server administrator may allow you to send email, but with stricter settings (such as requiring a name and password). If the administrator requires special settings, get the information you need from the administrator, then enter it by selecting your mail account in the Accounts pane of Mail Preferences, clicking Account Information, and then clicking the Server Settings button.
If you see a message that the connection to your outgoing mail server on port 25 timed out, click the link provided on this page.
For IMAP or .Mac accounts, delete and then set the account again. Open Mail and choose Mail > Preferences, and click Accounts. Note the information for the account you want to reset. Select the account and click the Remove (-) button. Click the Add (+) button, choose the IMAP or .Mac account type, and reenter the information for your account. This will erase all mailboxes for the account, but will not affect any messages stored on your mail server.

Reaction score
Using Connection Doctor to solve connection problems
If you are unable to send or receive email, you may have a problem with connecting to the Internet or to a mail server. You can use Mail Connection Doctor to help you resolve the problem.

In Mail, choose Window > Connection Doctor.
Review the status information.
Check your Internet connection status. A red status button indicates Mail cannot connect to the Internet. Click "Assist me" to use Network Diagnostics to help track down the problem and restore Internet connection.
Check your account status. A red status button (when you are connected to the Internet) indicates a problem with a mail server or your account setup. Follow the instructions in the Details column. You can double-click the text in the Details column to open the Accounts pane in Mail Preferences.
When you are done, click Check Again to see if your changes resolved the problem.
If the problem persists, contact your system administrator or your Internet service provider (ISP).

Ask a Question